1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Studying physics is better in France or German?

1. Jan 18, 2013 #1
    Hello..
    I want to kwon if studying physics in France is better than studying it in German.
    And what universities are good to study it in.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It depends on the university, your measure of "better" and some other parameters like money, admission standards, language skills and so on.

4. Jan 18, 2013 #3
    Go where you feel like your home, May be university teach you in English but also consider about surrounding languages. If you are not a native of either then choice is depended on University Departments.

5. Jan 18, 2013 #4
    I wonder if some languages have advantages over others as to describing physics. I'd think it would be a pain trying to remember which particles are male and which are female - or does it work that way?

6. Jan 18, 2013 #5
    I mean its better if he lives in his mother-tongue. Also OP type the language German not the country Germany.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  7. Jan 18, 2013 #6
    Please name the Universities you are looking.(and there academic syllabus page link)

8. Jan 18, 2013 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you going to study Physics in France or study Physics in French?

9. Jan 18, 2013 #8
    Germany is basically where it all started in terms of modern physics but that's pretty much irrelevant. Go where you are comfortable with language.

10. Jan 19, 2013 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In German, all particles and particle types are neutral, that is easy ;).

11. Jan 19, 2013 #10
    ^
    Haha!

---

If you are fluent in both German and French, and have in enough money to live in Switzerland, you can apply to ETH-Z and EPFL.

If you're going to Germany, Leipzig and Oldenburg have physics and engineering physics programs respectively. Both of which are taught in English.

In France, it's probably a better idea to go for a Classe Preparatoire Aux Grandes Ecoles. Alternatively going to a French uni, and then applying for Magistere after the second year is a fine option. That is based on what I've read and heard about the French educational system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook