1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying pure physics or astrophysics for cosmology graduate study

1. Jul 4, 2014 #1
    Hi there,

I need to choose my major in a week and it's between physics or astrophysics. Most of the courses are the same except a few:

The different courses:

Physics: statistical mechanics, solid state physics, and nuclear and particle physics

Astrophysics: Intro to astro., processes in astro., and stellar structure

Which stream would better prepare me for studying cosmology in graduate school?

Right now I'm leaning towards straight physics because I feel like it'd be more fundamental and I feel like the astronomy courses in astrophysics would be tedious and more focused on classification of celestial objects rather than the "why"s of the universe (kind of like taxonomy in bio).

what do you good-looking people think??

baouba

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Physics. It will be easier to get into graduate school at places that have joint physics/astronomy departments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook