Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

StumbleUpon is a nifty little browser plug in

1. Nov 11, 2006 #1

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Cool. I didn't register because I'm on W's computer and don't feel like setting up the iBook right now. Will investigate tomorrow.

4. Nov 12, 2006 #3
    Be careful. One of my associates' sons once loaded a similar thing on his computer, and neither of them could get it off again. It took me almost half a case of beer to finally get rid of it for him.

There's a lot of harmless toys of that nature around, but even those that are harmless (as was the one in my case) can be almost impossible to deinstall.

Side note: in that case, it was actually trivial to deinstall once you found the intructions on how to do so. But it was one fo those applications that shows you the instructions once when you install it, then never again. I only found the instructions by tracing through the dlls looking for text strings.

5. Nov 12, 2006 #4

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah that's always a concern with plugins.

This one is trivially easy to uninstall in firefox. It's also easy to uninstall it from ie. I don't know about the other browsers though.

Anyway, here's another fantastic site. This one is about creating and simulating movement, using masses, springs and "muscles". It's really fun!
    http://www.sodaplay.com/constructor/player.htm

6. Nov 16, 2006 #5

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

http://www.johnkyrk.com/
    This one is on cell biology animations.

P.S If it's ok with the mods, can I use this thread as a collection of the nice science links I come across?

7. Nov 16, 2006 #6
    Stumpleupon has been around for yonks, its not malware so dont worry about it. Its actually rather fun and I for one have found some cool sites I wouldnt have done before using that.

8. Nov 16, 2006 #7

-Job-

Science Advisor

It's pretty cool. I actually have been getting a fair number of hits from stumbleupon.

9. Jun 30, 2008 #8
    Re: StumbleUpon

yes this is back from the dead, but since stumbleupon has grown so much, I am making a shameless plea for those who use it to click "I like it" and write a short review. thanks!

10. Jul 1, 2008 #9

I so much hate StumbleUpon :grumpy:

I had it last year, and after stumbling continuously for like hours, I would get pages like http://mdesmond.com/end-of-the-internet/ so I uninstalled it.

Thanks for reminding me of it! Now, I installed it again and got this page again It makes me feel as if I have no life :mad:

edit: jks.

11. Jul 23, 2008 #10

I got horrible spyware on my computer because of overstumbling...yes, it's that addictive. It was really my fault for not updating my anti-virus software. Oh well, lesson learned.

12. Jul 23, 2008 #11

I thought you only needed 3 colors for any map, not 4?
    EDIT:

And what the hell is this?

Someone got REALLY lazy.

13. Jul 23, 2008 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I saw the T-shirt folding technique somewhere else and was so amazed I had to learn how to do it myself. I showed my kids what I'd learned to do and they were ........ well, not quite as impressed as I'd anticipated.

14. Jul 23, 2008 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the criteria? Can't have two sides the same color overlapping or can't have to states the same color touching? (Four corners area of Colorado, NM, Arizona, and Utah would violate the second).

15. Jul 23, 2008 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't under the first criterion (two sides...) but the second one is what appears in the four color theorem.

16. Jul 23, 2008 #15

I call BS on that, as a New Mexican in the Four Corners area, I say Utah DOES NOT BORDER NM...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?