1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stumped by Centripetal Acceleration?

1. Sep 2, 2009 #1
    EDIT: I figured out what I did wrong. [tex]T=\frac{2{\pi}r}{v}[/tex], not [tex]\frac{2{\pi}r}{\omega}[/tex]. Now it all falls together.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A small disk of mass [tex]m_1[/tex] on a frictionless table is
    attached to one end of a string. The string passes through a hole in the table and an attached narrow, vertical
    plastic tube. An object of mass [tex]m_2[/tex] is hung at the other end of the string. A student holding the tube makes the
    disk rotate in a circle of constant radius r, while another student measures the period T(if this is too hard to mentally picture, there is a diagram in the attachment). Derive the equation
    [tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{m_{1}r}{m_{2}g}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]a_{C}=\omega^{2}r[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, it is apparent that [tex]T=\frac{2{\pi}r}{\omega}[/tex]. So the question boils to what [tex]\omega[/tex] is. Applying Newton's Second Law in the radial direction gives [tex]m_{1}\omega^{2}r=m_{2}g[/tex]. This simplifies to [tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{m_{2}g}{m_{1}r}}[/tex]. Agh! There's an extra r in my answer!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Centripetal force acting on the rotating disc is m1*ω^2*r. It is provided by the weight of m2.
    So m2*g = m1*4π^2/T^2*r
    Now solve for T.

4. Sep 3, 2009 #3
    I had figured it out before you posted, rl.bhat. Thanks for offering help anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook