Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Styrene Maleic Anhydride - Bond Angles and Lengths

1. May 20, 2012 #1
    Styrene Maleic Anhydride is a tricky polymer that I've been researching over the last few days. There is very little information online, and I've been trying to figure out the bond lengths and angles.

I know the bond angles inside the benzene are 120 degrees, and the Carbon attached to the benzene ring attaches at a 120 degree angle, but what of the anhydride ring, or the other carbons? Much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2012 #2
    Styrene and maleic anhydride can be copolymerized in a number of ways that greatly change the resulting polymer.

Random polymerization by radical mechanisms is probably the most common, and takes place in head to tail fashion, predominately about the alkene double bonds, to make the sp3 bonded carbons. Try visualizing the styrene polymer, first and then see how one maleic anhydride can disrupt that regular polymer coil.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook