Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subatomic rotations in a plane Abelian group

1. Nov 16, 2007 #1
    Hi.. I recently stumbled across a question that seemed a little bit odd "Show that the set of rotations in a plane form a SO(2) Abelian group." for a subatomic physics course. I know how to obtain the answer showing that A^TA=AA^T=1... what I don't understand is what the relevance to subatomic physics is and what type of physics process it's modelling...
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2007 #2
    just to give a verbal example; neutral meson states, by quark content, fluctuate. The amplitudes of quark content in mesons can be modelled in a unitary matrix that follows the same condition as your example, but has a dimension for each quark type. The amplitudes are related to mixing angles that mix the masses of related mesons in the "mass squared matrix" for a given quantum number.

4. Nov 16, 2007 #3
    You should take a look at Noether's theorem and the relationship between symmetries of a group and conservation laws.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?