1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subatomic rotations in a plane Abelian group

1. Nov 16, 2007 #1
    Hi.. I recently stumbled across a question that seemed a little bit odd "Show that the set of rotations in a plane form a SO(2) Abelian group." for a subatomic physics course. I know how to obtain the answer showing that A^TA=AA^T=1... what I don't understand is what the relevance to subatomic physics is and what type of physics process it's modelling...
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2007 #2
    just to give a verbal example; neutral meson states, by quark content, fluctuate. The amplitudes of quark content in mesons can be modelled in a unitary matrix that follows the same condition as your example, but has a dimension for each quark type. The amplitudes are related to mixing angles that mix the masses of related mesons in the "mass squared matrix" for a given quantum number.

4. Nov 16, 2007 #3
    You should take a look at Noether's theorem and the relationship between symmetries of a group and conservation laws.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?