1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subgroup conjugation and cosets

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    Hello, I am having trouble with the following problem.

Suppose that H is a subgroup of G such that whenever Ha≠Hb then aH≠bH. Prove that gHg^(-1) is a subset of H.

I have tried to manipulate the following equation for some ideas

H = Hgg^(-1) = gg^(-1)H

but I don't know how to go from here. I can't figure out how I can use the conditions to show that every element in gHg^(-1) is also in H.
    I also know that gHg^(-1) is a subgroup of G, but I don't know if this fact can be used here.
    It well be great if someone can point me in the right direction. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try it this way. Can you use "Ha≠Hb then aH≠bH" to show that [itex]ab \not \in H[/itex] iff [itex]ba \not \in H[/itex]? Apply that to ghg^(-1) where h is an element of H. Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  4. Mar 5, 2012 #3
    Hi, thanks for your help and the welcome!
    I think I've got it. Can you check my work?

Let ab[itex]\notin[/itex]H. From this we get Ha ≠Hb^(-1). Using Ha≠Hb then aH≠bH, aH ≠ b^(-1)H. This implies that ba[itex]\notin[/itex]H. And the other direction is the same procedure. Therefore ab[itex]\notin[/itex]H iff ba[itex]\notin[/itex]H

Now assume for a sake of contradiction that gHg^(-1)is not a subset of H. Then we get ghg^(-1)[itex]\notin[/itex]H for some h[itex]\in[/itex]H. Then from ab[itex]\notin[/itex]H iff ba[itex]\notin[/itex]H, we get g^(-1)gh=h[itex]\notin[/itex]H. Which is a contradiction because h[itex]\in[/itex]H. Therefore gHg^(-1)[itex]\subset[/itex]H.

I'm not very confident about the first half of the proof.

5. Mar 6, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you've got it. The justification for the first part is that if [itex]c \notin H[/itex] iff [itex]cH \neq H[/itex]. You might want to explicitly mention that.

6. Mar 6, 2012 #5
    Okay, thank you very much!

If I may ask, what was your thought process in first showing ab[itex]\notin[/itex]H iff ba[itex]\notin[/itex]H? I would have never thought of that step on my own.

7. Mar 6, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. If you skip to the end the question is whether ghg^(-1) is 'in H or not'. So then I looked at Ha≠Hb and tried to figure out what that was telling me about something being 'in H or not'. And, of course, it's telling you ab^(-1) 'is not in H'. aH≠bH says b^(-1)a is not in H. So that looks like it's telling me if the product of two elements is not in H, then I can commute them and it's still not in H. Etc.

8. Mar 6, 2012 #7
    Okay, that makes sense.
    Thank you again for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook