1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subrings of Real numbers which are discrete

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all subrings of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] which are discrete subsets

2. Relevant equations
    For the purpose of our class, a ring is a ring with identity, not necessarily commutative.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First suppose that [itex]S\subset \mathbb{R}[/itex] is a subring of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. Then, by definition we must have [itex]0\in S[/itex] and
    [itex]1\in S[/itex]. Since [itex]S[/itex] is closed under addition, [itex]\underbrace{1+1+...+1}_\text{n times}=n\in S[/itex]. That is, for all
    [itex]n\in \mathbb{N}[/itex], [itex]n\in S[/itex]. Likewise, since the additive inverse of every element of [itex]S[/itex] must also be in [itex]S[/itex], we
    have[itex]-n\in S[/itex] for all [itex]n\in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. We thus conclude that [itex]\mathbb{Z}\subset S[/itex].

Now suppose that [itex]S[/itex] is also a discrete subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. That is, for every element [itex]s\in S[/itex] there exists
    [itex]r>0[/itex] such that for each [itex]x\in S\setminus{\{s\}}[/itex] we have [itex]|s-x|>r[/itex]. Note that since
    [itex]\mathbb{Z}\subset S[/itex],[itex]r<1[/itex].

okay this is where I am right now and am somewhat (for the moment) stuck. Although I haven't clearly stated it yet, I am claiming that the only such subring is the integers. Using what I have already proven (the integers are contained in any subring of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and the assumption that S is discrete
    I wish to show that [itex]\min_{x\in S\setminus{\{s\}}}|s-x|=d=1[/itex], and I already know [itex]d\leq 1[/itex]. Perhaps if I assume [itex]d<1[/itex], I will arrive at a contradiction? Any thoughts?

I apologize that the proof so far is a little rough, it is more a less just a sketch. Thanks everyone

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are almost there. 0 is in S. If S is discrete then there is a s>0 in S such that s=min(|s| for s in S), right? There is a little bit of work to show that, but once you have then where would you go from there?

4. Jan 17, 2012 #3
    Thanks Dick. I understand where the element s you are describing comes from and why it is in S i just am having a difficult time figuring out what I should do with it. well i think i might be getting an idea as I type this,
    if s<1, then s^2 for instance is also in S (S is a ring) and yet s^2<s<1, contradicting the definition of s?

5. Jan 17, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know s<=1 because 1 is in S as well. Yes, that's the final contradiction. Now back up and tell me why min(|s| for s in S) must be in S. Think about the properties of greatest lower bounds and R and the discreteness of S.

6. Jan 17, 2012 #5
    the set [itex]\{|s|:s\in S\}[/itex] is bounded from below since S is by assumption discrete (there exists some r>0 such that [itex]|0-s|>r[/itex] for all [itex]s\in S[/itex]) and thus has a greatest lower bound, although-that doesn't necessarily mean the set contains its infimum im missing some details here

7. Jan 17, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose the set doesn't contain its infimum. That mean there must be elements of S REALLY close to the infimum. Lots of them. That's a hint.

8. Jan 17, 2012 #7
    Oh i see, S would contain a cluster point which would contradict the fact that S is discrete

9. Jan 17, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Bingo!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  10. Jan 17, 2012 #9
    Okay thanks a lot : ).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook