Subscript superscript doesn't survive quote?

• Thread starter jim hardy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of sub and superscripts being lost when using "reply" or "+quote" in certain editors. It is mentioned that the highlighting-to-quote feature does not preserve formatting and equations well. The conversation also touches on the inconsistency between odd and even numbered days when it comes to preserving sub and superscripts. It is suggested to not use the WYSIWTF-editor and instead use the BB code editor. The conversation ends with a demonstration of how the issue persists even when switching between editors.
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
When using "reply" or "+quote "
sub and superscripts are lost

is it just me ?

as written in original post
upload_2015-10-7_2-59-8.png
as cut-pasted f , or when 'quote/reply'
E = 0.5* [LacIac2 + LdcIdc2]

Physics news on Phys.org
jim hardy said:
is it just me ?
No. Depends on which editor. "Green bar" in "reply" works fine, will quote all day long; quote latex(?) or one (or more) of the other "Cadillacs" and the content turns back to a pumpkin.

Likes gracy
The highlight-to-quote feature does copy the formatting, which is why it also doesn't copy equations well.

I remember saying something about the code editor versus the WYSIWTF-editor. The right one keeps formatting (and formulas and everything else) with "Reply" and "+Quote".

well there's a first

i highlighted and hit 'reply'
sub/superscript were preserved today
jim hardy said:
upload_2015-10-7_2-59-8-png.89838.png

now +quote

jim hardy said:

now copy& paste

it's a computer,
i was foolish to expect consistency between odd and even numbered days,
will try again tomorrow

Is it preserved across different pages of a thread ? will try that tomorrow too
thanks guys

That's an image that you quote here. The image won't change. Here are actual sub- and supscripts for testing purposes:

normalsubnormalsupnormal

And one formula: ##normal_{sub}normal^{sup}normal##.

Pages do not matter.

mfb said:
That's an image that you quote here. The image won't change. Here are actual sub- and supscripts for testing purposes:

normalsubnormalsupnormal

And one formula: normalsubnormalsupnormalnormal_{sub}normal^{sup}normal.
that was reply^^^^^ up there

here's quote

mfb said:

normalsubnormalsupnormal

copy/paste ::

normalsubnormalsupnormal

And one formula: normalsubnormalsupnormal.

mfb said:

normalsubnormalsupnormal

And one formula: ##normal_{sub}normal^{sup}normal##.

Pages do not matter.
That's a reply in the regular editor.
Don't use WYSIWTF.

mfb said:
Don't use WYSIWTF.

Good one ... ..lol

mfb said:
That's a reply in the regular editor.

i clicked the editor button but not sure what state it's in , but when i hgover it says "use BB code editor"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from 6, using +quote, Insert quote
mfb said:

normalsubnormalsupnormal

Pages do not matter.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
using "reply"
mfb said:

normalsubnormalsupnormal

Pages do not matter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
using copy/paste:

normalsubnormalsupnormal

Pages do not matter.

----------------------------------------------------------now i'll click the editor button again ,
okdid that everything is blue now and the button is gone from upper right , lower left says "Use Rich Text Editor"

--------------------------------
+Quote & Insert :
mfb said:

normalsubnormalsupnormal

Pages do not matter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply:

mfb said:

normalsubnormalsupnormal

Pages do not matter.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copy&Paste:

normalsubnormalsupnormal

Pages do not matter.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

okay now i'll click post but without going back to Rich text Editor

i'm back in in BB editor now , not RichText

here's 6 using reply, i'll switch back to rich text after reply but before post

mfb said:

normalsubnormalsupnormal

Pages do not matter.

okay, switching back to RichTextEd
done, now going to post
--- tadaa That's an image that you quote here. The image won't change. Here are actual sub- and supscripts for testing purposes:

normalsubnormalsupnormal

Pages do not matter.

EDIT: wow i hit return after tadaa and another copy of 6 appeared.

WTF editor indeed.

Related to Subscript superscript doesn't survive quote?

1. What is a subscript?

A subscript is a character or symbol that is written or printed below the line of text. It is typically smaller in size and is used to denote a mathematical or scientific notation.

2. What is a superscript?

A superscript is a character or symbol that is written or printed above the line of text. It is typically smaller in size and is used to denote a power or exponent in mathematical or scientific notation.

3. Why doesn't subscript superscript survive inside quotes?

Subscript and superscript characters are not recognized as part of a word or phrase inside quotation marks. This is because they are considered formatting elements and not part of the actual text. As a result, they do not "survive" when the text is quoted.

4. Can I use subscript superscript outside of quotes?

Yes, you can use subscript and superscript characters outside of quotations, as long as they are used in their intended contexts, such as mathematical equations or scientific notation.

5. How can I format subscript and superscript characters in my writing?

There are various ways to format subscript and superscript characters, depending on the software or program you are using. In most cases, you can use keyboard shortcuts or special formatting options to create these characters. Consult the documentation of your specific software for more information on how to format subscript and superscript text.