Problem with superscript and subscript in mathematica

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter yashar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of trying to sum over two indices in Mathematica, specifically with the use of subscripts and superscripts. The suggestion is to focus on calculating the answer instead of trying to format the equation in a specific way.
yashar
hi

i want to sum over two indices i and j . the elemet that i must sum is (x^(i,j))-i
that is x has superscript i,j and subscript i.
but in mathematica it gives me error.
here is the notebook :
http://www.mediafire.com/?novtz7t0liu9u78

thanks (:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe if you stop trying to desktop publish the format and just try to calculate the answer that you will have results with much less frustration.

I realize textbooks use sub and super scripts and you find words like sub and super script in the Mathematica help. But again and again new users find they cannot figure out how to make this work.

What is the problem with superscript and subscript in Mathematica?

The problem with superscript and subscript in Mathematica is that these special formatting characters can sometimes cause unexpected errors or formatting issues in equations and expressions.

How can I use superscript and subscript in Mathematica?

To use superscript and subscript in Mathematica, you can use the ^ symbol for superscripts and the _ symbol for subscripts. For example, x^2 will give you x squared, and x_i will give you x sub i.

Why is my equation not displaying correctly with superscript and subscript in Mathematica?

If your equation is not displaying correctly with superscript and subscript in Mathematica, it could be due to a formatting issue or an error in your code. Make sure to use the correct symbols and check for any typos.

Can I use superscript and subscript in functions and variables in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use superscript and subscript in functions and variables in Mathematica. However, it is important to note that these special formatting characters may affect the functionality and readability of your code.

Are there any alternative methods for using superscript and subscript in Mathematica?

Yes, there are alternative methods for using superscript and subscript in Mathematica, such as using the Superscript[] and Subscript[] functions. These functions allow you to format your equations and expressions more precisely and avoid potential errors.