Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subspaces, R^n How to visualize?

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    Hey,

I have no problems dealing with vectors in space, R^3. But I am having a lot of trouble with vectors in R^n. One of my basic questions is what is R^n. I mean doesn't the vector space already encompass everything? How do I visualize R^n vectors? Can you reccomend any good online tutorials that explain how to approach problems in the subspace units?

Any help would be great!!

Thanks!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't visualize it. Period. These are not spaces that have any physically visible manifestation really, so don't bother - it is unnecssary to do so, and unhelpful in the long run if you only attempt mathematics that is 'visualizable'.

R^n is just the set of n-tuples of numbers, and that is all you need.

4. Dec 11, 2005 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't even visualize R^3 half the time. :grumpy:

Look at the bright side of R^n, you'll never be asked to draw a graph.

5. Dec 11, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I dunno, I've seen people draw diagrams in much uglier spaces than than R^4. That's where the real fun begins. :smile:

6. Dec 12, 2005 #5
    Thnx! I think Im starting to get the hang of this stuff, after constantly and constantly reading over notes and trying examples. Quick question. In one example it says,

Let U = { X in R^n | AX = 0 (Zero Vector)}
    Is U a subspace?

Am I correct in reading the question as, X is in R^n if and only if AX = 0. That is, when checking all three conditions, I should get the zero vector?

7. Dec 12, 2005 #6
    It is the definition of a set U. It says X is in U iff X is a vector in R^n such that AX=0. Now you have to determine whether U satisfies the axioms of a vector space.

8. Dec 12, 2005 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that is how we all learned mathematics.

not quite, you should read it as X is in U if AX=0, where A is some fixed matrix, or that U is the subset of vectors x in R^n such that Ax=0. You need to show that U satisfies the axioms of a subspace, ie 0 is in U, and if x and y are in U that x+y is in U, and that if x is in U and t is a real number that tx is in U.

no, that doesn't follow at all

9. Dec 12, 2005 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you talking about the all the homogeneous solutions for the matrix A?

If that is the case, why not try yourself and see if it is a subspace. All you need to do is check if it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

In order words, show that if x,y is in U, then x+y is in U, and if k is any scalar, then kx is in U.

Note: If it has only one solution for the homegeneous system, then we know it is the trivial solution. The trivial solution is the zero vector itself, which creates a subspace all on it's own.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?