Substances to absorb/adsorb HCHO vapours in car

Main Question or Discussion Point

I read somewhere that the "new car smell", which many of us like, is composed of formaldehyde, something that is not good for health. I also learnt that it has tendencies to cause pulmonary diseases.

A good option to get rid of the smell is to drive with windows down. But doing that in the city traffic will bring in a large amount of pollutants, something that you don't want at all.

Since I have a car, I was thinking of ways to get rid of these vapours. Of course, I cannot stop the dust, but is there anything that can absorb or adsorb the formaldehyde vapours? Something that I can get nearby, and not go to a store selling chemicals?

Answers and Replies

TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Activated charcoal comes to mind.

Activated charcoal comes to mind.
Does activated charcoal adsorb gases as well?

From the article:
VOCs probably ring a bell because they're air pollutants. And they can do a number on your health.
So, the smell does affect health. The point to be noted is, we never put down the window panes in city traffic, because all the members in my family are allergic to dust. So, the VOCs build up and their concentration increases, which is likely to cause more health trouble.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
So, the smell does affect health.
Be warned. You should not take blanket statements like "X can affect your health" and try to extrapolate them to real-world situations. Especially if that statement comes from a news or news-like article. With the concentrations found in cars, especially cars that aren't new anymore, and the limited amount of time the average person spends driving, the risk is likely minuscule.

As for how to get rid of the VOC's, I doubt there's an easy and effective method that is less harmful to you, your passengers, and your car. But hey, I could certainly be wrong.

TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does activated charcoal adsorb gases as well?
It'll probably absorb at least some VOC's to a certain extent.