Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sufficient condition for bounded Fourier transform

1. Sep 26, 2014 #1
    Hello,

Let's suppose we are given a function [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex], and we assume its Fourier transform [itex]F=\mathcal{F}(f)[/itex] exists and has compact support.

What sufficient condition could we impose on f, in order to be sure that F is also bounded?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

f is L1 is certainly sufficient, even if F does not have compact support.

4. Sep 30, 2014 #3
    Thanks a lot!
    I think I figured out a way to prove it, but it relies on the Fourier shift theorem and the compact support assumption.
    The proof I sketched out is more or less like this:

- Let's suppose F is not bounded and has compact support
    - Then there must be at least one point in the support of F where the Fourier transform goes to infinity.
    - Let u be that point, and translate the Fourier transform so that u coincides with the origin.
    - This means that the inverse FT of the translated F must have integral=infinity.
    - But from the Fourier shift-theorem we know that such a function is simply f itself multplied by the complex sinusoid e-iux
    -
    Note that [itex]|\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}f(x)e^{-iux}dx| \leq \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}|f(x)|dx[/itex] which means that f is not absolute integrable.
    - Now if we assumed f was in L1 we would reach a contradiction

However I don't see how to generalize this argument to the case when F does not have compact support, e.g. F(u) might go to infinity only for u-->infinity which would render the "translation trick" useless.

5. Sep 30, 2014 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand your argument. If f is in L1 then, as you noted, the Fourier transform is bounded at every point by the integral of |f(x)|.

6. Sep 30, 2014 #5
    Yes. I have just realized that I in my proof I don't need the statement "there must be at least one point in the support of F where the Fourier transform goes to infinity". The inequality that I wrote simply says that the magnitude of the F at each point is bounded by the absolute integral of f.
    Thanks again for clarifying this.

7. Oct 1, 2014 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cant we use a continuity argument together with compactness to argue boundedness of the transform?

8. Oct 1, 2014 #7

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you look at the reverse question. F bounded with compact support implies f is L1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook