Suggested starting points for 3d scanner design

In summary, my school recently got an industrial robot arm with a precision turntable. I was thinking how to use this with some cameras/lasers to make a 3d scanner. Where would you folks recommend I start looking?
theycallmevirgo
TL;DR Summary
How can I use a robot arm and a precision turntable for 3d scanning
My school recently got an industrial robot arm with a precision turntable. I was thinking how to use this with some cameras/lasers to make a 3d scanner. Where would you folks recommend I start looking?

Engineering news on Phys.org
glad to advise as i can...

Thanks so much folks, but that seems like 2 arms using a physical gauge. At best I would be forced to use a tof sensor. I have one arm and probably will use a structured light system.

theycallmevirgo said:
I have one arm and probably will use a structured light system.
A good friend of mine has worked in the field of imaging and 3-D reconstruction for a while. Here is a link to a number of papers he has published:

https://www.researchgate.net/scientific-contributions/9133547_Tom_Malzbender

In particular these two may be of interest:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2328661_A_Survey_of_Methods_for_Volumetric_Scene_Reconstruction_from_Photographs

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2895581_Enhancement_of_Shape_Perception_by_Surface_Reflectance

Likes theycallmevirgo
Also, you could trace the object in 3-D with the arm tip (assuming that you have encoders on all of its joints and on the turntable position), but the shape that you trace will have to have some constraints on it in order to be able to fully trace it, and it will take a lot of time to do the tracing with much resolution...

Likes theycallmevirgo
Thanks so much for your help. It seems, I did not do enough digging on github before asking this. This is more or less a solved problem within OpenCV computer vision library. There is also a prebuilt package using another algorithm, now I just need to figure the logistics.

Likes berkeman and Tom.G

1. What is a 3D scanner and how does it work?

A 3D scanner is a device that captures the physical shape and dimensions of an object to create a digital 3D model. It works by using various technologies such as laser, structured light, or photogrammetry to collect data points on the surface of an object and then reconstructing them into a digital model.

2. What are the key factors to consider when designing a 3D scanner?

The key factors to consider when designing a 3D scanner include the type of technology used, the scanning speed and accuracy, the size and portability of the device, and the software used for data processing and model creation.

3. How can I determine the appropriate starting point for my 3D scanner design?

The best starting point for designing a 3D scanner is to define the specific requirements and use case for the device. This includes considering the type of objects to be scanned, the level of detail needed, and the intended application for the digital models.

4. What are some common challenges when designing a 3D scanner?

Some common challenges when designing a 3D scanner include finding the right balance between speed and accuracy, ensuring compatibility between the hardware and software components, and dealing with environmental factors such as lighting and reflections.

5. Are there any recommended resources or guidelines for designing a 3D scanner?

Yes, there are various resources and guidelines available for designing a 3D scanner, such as research papers, industry standards, and online communities. It is also helpful to consult with experienced engineers and designers in the field for advice and guidance.