3D Scanner using static electric fields

• Thread starter taylaron
  • Start date
taylaron
Gold Member
Greetings PFers,
Can someone help explain to me the difficulties of designing a device which utilizes static electric fields to map an objects’ internals and externals?

My understanding is that as a electric field propagates through matter, it encounters absorption.
I envision a device which utilizes a RF emitter and a sensor 180 degrees opposite the object being scanned. Wouldn't this scanner function much like a CT scanner? As the field penetrates more matter, its field strength decreases a measurable amount.

Conductive objects would make scanning difficult because they would conduct the electric field, instead of impeding it.

-Tay

Answers and Replies

All objects are conducting, there are no perfect insulators.
I'm not sure how the object reconstruction would look like, and you will certainly need a lot of data points and sender/receiver combinations, together with a very good timing resolution (<< nanosecond) to detect the RF phase. And it fails if too much metal is in the object, of course.

RF fields are not static, by the way.

taylaron
Gold Member
All objects are conducting, there are no perfect insulators.
I'm not sure how the object reconstruction would look like, and you will certainly need a lot of data points and sender/receiver combinations, together with a very good timing resolution (<< nanosecond) to detect the RF phase. And it fails if too much metal is in the object, of course.

RF fields are not static, by the way.
Sorry, I thought I removed all references to RF fields. I changed my position to static electric fields instead.

Without having to worry about sub nanosecond accuracy with static fields, I still see conductive objects as being an obstacle, but surely an algorithm can be used to solve most of that problem. Any other thoughts?

-Tay

I still don't see how you want to do a proper 3D reconstruction. It will be highly non-trivial to distinguish parts of the 3D object with static fields.