Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion - View latest posts

1. Mar 16, 2007 #1
    Is it at all possible to set something up so when there's a thread with new posts in it, there's a button to take you to the first new post. This would be helpful especially for longer threads, rather than having to sort through looking for it.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We used to have that, and I agree, it was a helpful feature. I think it got lost with an upgrade somewhere.

4. Mar 16, 2007 #3
    Actually with regard to suggestions:

I know it is possible, under thread tools to view a topic in a printable format (removing all the graphical niceties), but for larger topics it still contains breaks, so you have to print each section. Some of the topics have 30 or more breaks.

Sometimes I like to read the larger topics off-line by printing them. Then I read them when I go for my coffee. :smile:
    Is it possible to print the complete topic as one section?

5. Mar 16, 2007 #4
    Is this what you're looking for?

Attached Files:

6. Mar 17, 2007 #5

radou

Homework Helper

What do you mean with "as one section"? I believe you can print everything (i.e a topic of any length) if you click the printable version option or so. Worked just fine in my case.

Btw, I find the New Posts option useful enough.

7. Mar 17, 2007 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I must be using a different skin, because I click on ">" just to the right of the new poster's name, or just to the right of "Today".

8. Mar 17, 2007 #7
    That takes you to the (current) very last post of the thread, irrespective of whether you have read that thread or not. But in the time you were reading other threads, there may have been more than one new post in another. The button I've circled takes you to the first new post (for you) since your last login.

I use Prime, btw.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  9. Mar 17, 2007 #8
    Really?
    Open Science Jokes, which is a very long topic, and then go to thread tools, and select show printable version, then how many pages do you get?

I get 128 pages. Then if I select Show 20 post(s) from this thread on one page, it reduces it to 21 pages.

What I am looking for is something like: Show all post(s) from this thread on one page.

In this example I have to print each separate page 21 times, what I am looking for is to simply print the whole thing once.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  10. Mar 17, 2007 #9
    I tried changing the number of posts per page. It doesn't work beyond 20. (Look at the last number of the printable version's URL) May be the admin can change the "internal settings" for the upper-limit.

11. Mar 17, 2007 #10
    Thanks, never noticed that before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?