• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Programs Suggestions for major in mathematics and minor in physics.

• Thread starter Coleton112
  • Start date
I'm currently in high school and I know it's a little early to decide on major/minors, but I really enjoy physics and math. The university I will be attending only offers a minor in physics, but it offers majors in theoretical, applied, and general mathematics and I was wondering which would be better to major in to go along with the minor in physics if I don't change my mind, and what careers would be available to me with those majors/the minor in physics and if there is generally a high demand for people for those careers. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Last edited:

eri

Physics would be more of a useful major than math, as far as finding a job or many practical applications for it. If you're interested in physics and math, why go to a school that doesn't offer it? Most schools offer a physics major; go somewhere else.

chiro

Science Advisor
Physics would be more of a useful major than math, as far as finding a job or many practical applications for it. If you're interested in physics and math, why go to a school that doesn't offer it? Most schools offer a physics major; go somewhere else.
I don't agree with this. There are areas of applied math (like statistics) that are very useful and that provide very good training for real world jobs.

I could go elsewhere, but the deadlines have already passed for most universities so I would have to wait until the fall to apply for scholarships at those schools for classes in the spring/summer. I received a full scholarship to the university that I am currently planning on going to, but I know that I could have received a full scholarship to other universities that offered a physics major if I had taken my ACT earlier instead of waiting until basically the last minute. This is somewhat off topic, but would there be any grants or anything that I could receive if I transfered to another school that offered a physics major after around 2 years or so? Also, thank you again for your replies.