1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math or Compsci minor for Physics Major?

1. Jul 7, 2014 #1
    I am entering my second year in college, and I am thinking about majoring physics with an emphasis in astrophysics. If I were to go to graduate school in astrophysics, which minor would best complement a physics major? Mathematics? Computer Science? Or maybe even statistics?

If I were to switch majors, I might graduate late because would have to take four quarters of lower division physics during my second year. So far I've only taken 3/4 quarters of calculus, and I'm taking a intro to abstract math course (logic/proof methods/set theory/induction/etc.) right now in the summer because I'm currently statistics major. Would it be not a good idea to minor in anything at all?

If I were to minor in something, which courses would you recommend for graduate school?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since modern astrophysics involves a lot of computational science, I would go for computer science, though modern statistics also involves a lot of computer work. It depends on how much computer programming you have picked up on your own ... it is possible to self-teach programming, though you need to do quite a bit in order to be good at it.

You would do well to look at the detailed requirements for a few astrophysics programs.

You should also talk with an academic adviser for the physics program at your school; they can provide a definite recommended program for you.

4. Jul 7, 2014 #3
    Thank you for your response!

So would you say learning more programming languages such as C, C++, R, etc., is more important than learning math topics such as Numerical Analysis, Applied Linear Algebra, Fourier Analysis, Partial Differential Equations, Differential Geometry, etc?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook