1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestions for testing into higher math classes

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1
    I have an absolute love for chemistry particalurly analytical and organic. my problem is i'm not the greatest when it comes to math as i never was granted the opertunity for higher level math classes in grad school. I'm the first in my family to actually graduate highschool. I tested into math 85 which is intro to alegbra its not very difficult and this is my first quarter at my community college i really want to graduate in 2 years with an AS to continue my education the prereqs are math 152 and 153 calc II & III. If i take math class after math class my goal will not be acheived in the time frame desired. I'm willing to hire a private tutor along with support of freinds with extensive skills with regards to higher level mathematics. So i have to study alot but it will be primarily indepedantly where should i go resource wise to aquire this knowledge at an excellerated pace. what feilds of mathematics should i not skim and thouroughly explore in regards to my ultimate goal a masters in either organic or analytical. This is a general question i really would appreciate as much help as i can get... Thank you(:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Paul's Online Math Notes are a good resource and cover the material required:
    http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

You can go as fast as you want; just be sure to work the problems!

4. Oct 1, 2013 #3
    Khan Academy is also good:
    https://www.khanacademy.org/

Work out the problems at your own pace, have your private tutor look over your work, etc.

For Organic Chemistry there isn't much math at all, it's mostly memorization and conceptual.
    For Analytical Chemistry, I am not entirely sure, since I'm not a chemistry major. I have friends that are though and they say that it's math based, so perhaps a good depth of Algebra / Calculus would be beneficial.

As for your math question regarding what to study thoroughly, I'd say calculus. Calculus is important in many math/science related classes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook