Suicidal/depressed for more than a year

In summary, the person is mentally ill, has epilepsy, and is having a lot of issues with their studies because of it. They say that they will have to take a lot of classes over the summer and next year, and that their life might be a hell. They also say that there are two losses with this, one being that they won't be able to minor in physics and the other being that they may never be able to get over the fact that they let their studies get affected. They say that getting professional help is a good idea, and that any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
sweetvirgogirl
so as you guys already know, I'm mentally ill ... I have been suicidal/depressed for more than a year (and I'm still alive wow!)
I'm also epileptic ... and I have several physical problems as well, but I would rather not discuss them on here
but hey I'm not about to die or anything ... (unless i kill myself.. and i have no guts for that)

now...
my studies got affected due to it, and I had to retake several courses coz I had to withdraw from them and stuff like that

in order to be able to graduate within 4 years, I will have to take lots and lots of classes over summer and tons of courses both semesters next year, so my life might be a hell ... but hey, maybe it won't be that bad ...
there are two losses with this though ...
1) I won't be able to minor in physics (ouch!)
2) How will i able to do internship?!

Now I might take another semester and be able to do internship and minor in physics ... the problems with that ... considering I'm not doing double major or anything

1) disgrace - to family and I'm going to feel really stupid too, considering most of my friends will graduate in time or even a semester early :/
2) grad schools may look down upon it
3) i may never be able to get over it that I let my studies got affected

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Gosh, I'm not even qualified to give advice to those who are not mentally ill. All I can suggest is: don't ask a bunch of online strangers. Get professional help for your condition. If you can solve this then you will only have the same regular insurmountable problems as the rest of us and maybe we can make useable suggestions on that. Oh, and good luck.

sweetvirgogirl said:
1) disgrace - to family and I'm going to feel really stupid too, considering most of my friends will graduate in time or even a semester early :/
2) grad schools may look down upon it
3) i may never be able to get over it that I let my studies got affected
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
1) I don't know how much pressure your family puts on you to be successful in their eyes, but (at least in the U.S.) the average degree takes about 4.5 years, last I heard according to http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=40" . So taking an extra semester isn't going to make you look stupid. Plus, anyone who completes a minor in physics could hardly be called stupid.
2) Since the average time is 55 months, grad schools (again in the U.S.) probably won't look down on it. They're more interested in grades, GRE scores, letters of reference, etc. I took almost 8 years total to complete my double major and still was accepted to several grad schools.
3) Only you can say whether you'll get over it, but most people do. I went through a rather painful divorce right after transferring to UCLA. I couldn't concentrate, so had to drop the 2nd quarter entirely and only took 1 class the following quarter that first year. Yes, I did have to make up that time and ended up taking 5 classes the first 2 quarters of my final year, and 6 the last quarter. Believe it or not, not only did it take my mind off both the divorce and the preoccupation with having dropped those 2 quarters, my best grades came from that last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're probably going to school for yourself, not your family, so if it takes a bit longer to pursue what you really want, go for it. It's going to take me a year longer to finish my 4 year degree because I just switched into another program. And there are a LOT of others who don't finish "in time". :)
I highly doubt grad schools will look down on you taking a little extra time to finish, like daveb said they're concerned with other things.

good luck!

do you guys think there are good internships available only for part of the summer?

hey don't stress ursellf!

go to school partime n take it easy!

1. What are the symptoms of depression?

The symptoms of depression can include persistent feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and worthlessness, loss of interest in activities once enjoyed, changes in appetite and sleep patterns, and difficulty concentrating. Some individuals may also experience physical symptoms such as fatigue, aches and pains, and digestive issues.

2. How long does depression typically last?

The duration of depression can vary greatly from person to person. Some individuals may experience depressive episodes that last for a few weeks, while others may experience symptoms for several months or even years. It is important to seek treatment for depression, as it can be a chronic condition without proper care.

3. What are the risk factors for suicide?

There are many risk factors for suicide, including a history of mental health issues, substance abuse, a family history of suicide, a recent loss or trauma, access to lethal means, and feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness. It is important for individuals struggling with suicidal thoughts to seek help and support from loved ones and mental health professionals.

4. Can depression be treated?

Yes, depression can be treated through a combination of therapy, medication, and lifestyle changes. Therapy, such as cognitive behavioral therapy, can help individuals identify and change negative thought patterns and behaviors. Medications, such as antidepressants, can also be helpful in managing symptoms. Making healthy lifestyle changes, such as regular exercise, a balanced diet, and getting enough sleep, can also improve symptoms of depression.

5. What should I do if I think someone I know is suicidal?

If you are concerned that someone you know may be suicidal, it is important to take their feelings seriously and talk to them about it. Encourage them to seek professional help and offer to support them in finding treatment. It is also important to remove any access to lethal means, such as firearms or prescription medication. If you believe the person is in immediate danger, do not leave them alone and call 911 or a suicide hotline for assistance.