SULI DOE Acceptance Thread Summer 2017

Congrats! I believe the PPPL and the GA students will both be attending the same week-long plasma physics course at Princeton during the first week of the program, so I guess I'll be seeing you there.
Oh really? How does travel work for GA students then--fly/drive across the country twice? Well if so see ya there!

Joshy
Gold Member
It didn't work out for me with SULI this year, but don't lose hope: Last year, I was not selected, and a more preferable opportunity at NASA reached out to me. This year, I was disqualified (PII on my transcript), but two NASA locations reached out to me and both showed me strong signs of a possible offer. I received an offer from one of them today and I happily accepted it.

I did SULI (SLAC) during Summer 2015 and I did not receive my offer until 6th of March, and so I am sure there is still a lot of open positions available, but if you're not hearing anything... don't put all your eggs into one basket :sorry: there are a lot of great opportunities out there.

Likes puddleduck
I'm seeing others full of doubt given the timeline, but I didn't receive an offer until March 3rd when I did it for Summer 2015; I was at SLAC. Don't put all your eggs in one basket too... it's a little bit late to be applying to places, but it's not too late!
I did SULI (SLAC) during Summer 2015 and I did not receive my offer until 6th of March, and so I am sure there is still a lot of open positions available, but if you're not hearing anything... don't put all your eggs into one basket :sorry: there are a lot of great opportunities out there.
Not that it's at all likely to be relevant this year, but in 2015 did you hear back from SLAC on March 3rd or March 6th?

By the way, I'm sorry to hear about your application being disqualified for such a mundane reason. I really thought they were exaggerating when they said that PII would void the application.

Just received an offer from Fermilab for the CCI program at 1 AM this morning! Just accepted it, but have no idea about the project information. Wew!

Likes Joshy and puddleduck
I was accepted to FermiLab as well! Maybe see you there.

Has anyone heard from SLAC yet? At this point I'm fairly sure I didn't get accepted but some closure would be nice.

Has anyone heard from SLAC yet? At this point I'm fairly sure I didn't get accepted but some closure would be nice.
Don't worry, I haven't heard back from them yet either. Hopefully that just means they're still making their final decisions before they release them.

I think the first choice lab are done with offers by now, but we still have the second choice lab!!

Joshy
Gold Member
Well... there's an end date for the offer period, and so I wouldn't assume anything just yet because there is still time; however, and again: Don't put all of your eggs into one basket. I recommend calling other places and working out a backup plan, or leveraging potential opportunities between each other (ie. "I've been talking to bla bla bla organization and there seems to be a lot of promise, but your organization is my # 1 choice and I want to make sure before I accept the other offers") I would talk to your university or nearby businesses where you'll likely be for the Summer if you don't get an offer. I think experience really makes a difference... the place doesn't necessarily have to be a National Laboratory or NASA to be worth it :wink: .

Anyone who is following this. From what I read some labs historically wait until almost the end to make offers. One of them being Lbnl from what I've read. If anyone has been accepted there already let me know!

I have been accepted to SULI Fermilab and a SURF program at Caltech and am not sure which one to take. The Fermilab opportunity is much closer to my home (easy driving distance) and pays more. Any insights or suggestions? Is there any huge difference in quality/prestige of these two programs?

Has anybody heard from NREL? I havent heard anything. Im assuming itd be a no since its quite late, but i havent received a confirmation nor denial yet.

Has anyone heard back from PNNL yet? I heard back from them for CCI on March 18th in 2015, but I'm still getting nervous now. :/

Last edited:
Joshy
Gold Member
I have been accepted to SULI Fermilab and a SURF program at Caltech and am not sure which one to take. The Fermilab opportunity is much closer to my home (easy driving distance) and pays more. Any insights or suggestions? Is there any huge difference in quality/prestige of these two programs?
Do you know what the projects are on? Pick the project that is more interesting to you. See if you can get the PI/supervisor's names and look up some of their old papers or if their respective organizations "featured" them in one of their announcements.

Some other stuff I like to consider is "shaking things up" and leaving my comfort zone. I feel like I am able to build a bigger and better network if I leave the nest. I'm sure both opportunities are very good. Congratulations!

Likes CassiniDivision
Thanks for your help Jprz! I ended up choosing Fermilab because the program looked more interesting (as you suggested!) It would have been a great summer no matter where I ended up. Congrats to everyone else as well!

Likes Joshy
Anyone hear back from SLAC yet?

I haven't heard back from Argonne yet, so I'm assuming that means no lol. Some closure would be nice though.