SULI Summer 2015: Selection Process & Application Q&A

In summary, SULI's selection process involves listing your top two choices for labs on the application. Your application is then sent to both of those labs, and the supervisor from your first-choice institution has priority in choosing you as their intern. There is no pre-screening by the DOE, but they do check for a minimum GPA requirement."
Angelika
Does anyone know how SULI's selection process works? On the application you list your top two choices for labs; does your application get sent to those two labs for the mentors to pick or is there some sort of prescreening by the DOE? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was a SULI intern last year. I know that my application was sent to the place I ended up working (my first choice), and my supervisor chose me out of the bunch. From what I know, I think your application is also sent to your second-choice institution as well, and either one can pick you but the first place takes precedence. I don't think there's any pre-screening by the DOE, but only to make sure you have the minimum GPA and such.

1. What is the SULI Summer 2015 program?

The SULI Summer 2015 program is a competitive and prestigious internship opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). It is sponsored by the Department of Energy's Office of Science and provides students with hands-on research experience at national laboratories.

2. Who is eligible to apply for the SULI Summer 2015 program?

Undergraduate and graduate students who are currently enrolled in accredited college or university programs and have completed at least one year of study in a STEM field are eligible to apply for the SULI Summer 2015 program. Applicants must also be in good academic standing and be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

3. What is the selection process for the SULI Summer 2015 program?

The selection process for the SULI Summer 2015 program is highly competitive and involves a thorough review of applicants' academic records, research experience, and personal statements. Additionally, applicants may be required to participate in interviews or submit letters of recommendation. Final selections are made by a committee of scientists and program coordinators.

4. How can I apply for the SULI Summer 2015 program?

To apply for the SULI Summer 2015 program, you must submit an online application through the Department of Energy's Office of Science website. The application typically opens in the fall and closes in early January. Be sure to carefully review the application requirements and submit all necessary materials before the deadline.

5. What are the benefits of participating in the SULI Summer 2015 program?

Participating in the SULI Summer 2015 program offers numerous benefits, including hands-on research experience, mentorship from top scientists, access to cutting-edge technology and facilities, and the opportunity to network with other students and professionals in your field. Additionally, participants receive a stipend, travel allowance, and housing during the program.