Can you determine the convergence of this sum notation series for math homework?

Then you can take the limit as n goes to infinity. In summary, the series described is a geometric series with a general term of a_n = \frac{\sum_{i = 0}^n 2^i}{\sum_{i = 0}^n 3^i}. The series can then be tested for convergence by taking the limit of a_n as n goes to infinity.
chemnoob.

Homework Statement

Determine whether series diverges of converges (conditionally or absolutely)
(1+2)/(1+3) + (1+2+4)/(1+3+9) + (1+2+4+8)/(1+3+9+27) ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that I would have to put it into sum notation but I am struggling with that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

chemnoob. said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether series diverges of converges (conditionally or absolutely)
(1+2)/(1+3) + (1+2+4)/(1+3+9) + (1+2+4+8)/(1+3+9+27) ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that I would have to put it into sum notation but I am struggling with that.
It looks to me like the general term of your series is
[tex]a_n = \frac{\sum_{i = 0}^n 2^i}{\sum_{i = 0}^n 3^i}[/tex]

Can you work with that?

What test should I try using?

Both series are geometric series, so you should be able to get a simpler expression for an. Once you do that, you could take the limit of an as n goes to infinity. If you get a nonzero value, you know the series diverges. If you get zero, then you need to use more tests, such as the ratio test, limit comparison test, etc.

Mark44 said:
It looks to me like the general term of your series is
[tex]a_n = \frac{\sum_{i = 0}^n 2^i}{\sum_{i = 0}^n 3^i}[/tex]

Can you work with that?

I think you are missing a sum at the beginning of all of that .. but I still don't know how you would go about solving that!

What I wrote is the general term of the series, not the whole series. See if you can write an without the two summations, using what you know about finite geometric series.

What is sum notation series math?

Sum notation series math is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a sequence of numbers. It is often used in calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts.

How is sum notation series math expressed?

Sum notation series math is typically expressed using the sigma symbol (∑), followed by the expression or equation to be summed, and the range of values to be used in the summation.

What is the purpose of using sum notation series math?

The purpose of using sum notation series math is to simplify complex equations and express them in a more concise and efficient manner. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of sums in advanced mathematical concepts.

What are the common properties of sum notation series math?

Some common properties of sum notation series math include the commutative property (changing the order of terms does not affect the sum), the associative property (grouping terms does not affect the sum), and the distributive property (distributing a factor to each term in the sum).

How is sum notation series math used in real-world applications?

Sum notation series math is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating the area under a curve in physics and engineering, determining the total cost of an investment over time in finance, and analyzing data in statistics. It is also used in computer programming to write efficient algorithms for solving complex problems.