Understanding Maclaurin Series & De Moivre's Theorem

In summary, the conversation involves finding the Maclaurin series for a given infinite series, which is a problem related to De Moivre's theorem. The series is identified to be similar to the Maclaurin series, but the problem lies in determining the starting point. The conversation then delves into using Euler's formula and taking the real part to simplify the series, leading to the solution of the Maclaurin series for exp(2*Re[e^(i\theta)]).
henryc09

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9336/seriesgay.jpg

In the previous part of the question we had to show where the taylor expansion comes from, and calculated the maclaurin series for e^x, sin x and cos x. From that we had to prove De Moivre's theorem and so I would imagine that these things help in the last part of this question. I can see it looks like a Maclaurin series, just not sure where to start really.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried? Does that infinite series sort of look like any other infinite series you know?

well it looks like a maclaurin series, but I don't really know how to work out what it's a Maclaurin series of.

Not really. A Maclaurin series has powers of x (or whatever the variable happens to be).

IOW, a Maclaurin series looks like this:
[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} a_n x^n[/tex]

Your series is
[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \frac{2^n~cos(n\theta)}{n!}[/tex]

Yeah but I was thinking that it looked like something to do with e^(i[tex]\theta[/tex]) to the power of n which would give terms of cos(n[tex]\theta[/tex]). I'm not sure, if not how do I go about tackling the problem?

henryc09 said:
Yeah but I was thinking that it looked like something to do with e^(i[tex]\theta[/tex]) to the power of n which would give terms of cos(n[tex]\theta[/tex]). I'm not sure, if not how do I go about tackling the problem?

Hint: The real part of exp(i x) = ?

cos(x)... sorry it's been a long day! Still not sure how to use that to get any further.

henryc09 said:
cos(x)... sorry it's been a long day! Still not sure how to use that to get any further.

Replace all the cos(nx) by exp(i n x) in the summation and then take the real part of the summation.

ok, I think I have it.

Is it the Maclaurin series for

e^(2*Re[e^(i[tex]\theta[/tex])])

that seems to work I think :s, meaning that the sum is just what's written above right?

or rather:

Re[e^(2*e^(i0))]

henryc09 said:
or rather:

Re[e^(2*e^(i0))]

Yes, and now you can simply this using Euler's formula

exp(ix) = cos(x) + i sin(x)

What is Maclaurin Series?

Maclaurin Series is a type of infinite series expansion of a function around the point x=0. It is named after Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin and is a special case of the Taylor series expansion.

What is the significance of Maclaurin Series?

Maclaurin Series allows us to approximate complicated functions with simpler polynomial expressions. This is useful in calculus, physics, and engineering, where it is often easier to work with polynomials than with other types of functions.

What is De Moivre's Theorem?

De Moivre's Theorem is a mathematical formula that helps us raise a complex number to a power. It states that for any complex number z and integer n, (cos z + i sin z)^n = cos(nz) + i sin(nz). This theorem is named after French mathematician Abraham de Moivre.

What is the relationship between Maclaurin Series and De Moivre's Theorem?

Maclaurin Series is often used to prove De Moivre's Theorem. By using the Maclaurin Series expansion of (cos z + i sin z)^n, we can show that it is equal to cos(nz) + i sin(nz), which is the formula stated in De Moivre's Theorem.

How are Maclaurin Series and De Moivre's Theorem applied in real-world situations?

Maclaurin Series and De Moivre's Theorem have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. They are used to approximate and solve problems involving complex functions, such as in electrical circuits, signal processing, and financial modeling. They are also used in solving differential equations and in understanding the behavior of waves and oscillations.