Sum of squares equation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the only solution in integers of the equation x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 2xyz is when x = y = z = 0. The conversation goes through various attempts at solving the problem, including using common sense and trial and error. Eventually, the conversation leads to using the concept of infinite descent and modular arithmetic to prove that the solution can only be (0,0,0).
The legend

Homework Statement

Prove only solution in integers of the equation

x2 + y 2 + z2 = 2xyz

is x = y = z =0

2. The attempt at a solution

Well, using common sense got the idea but don't exactly know how to prove it!
Can anyone please help as how to start ...?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, a proof is often in the details of common sense. What "common sense" gave you the idea?

Suppose we take in negative integers.
then the sum of squares is positive and the product beside is negative.(eliminated possibility)

Then again taking 0 the answer is satisfied.

Then taking positive ints by a bit of trial none (That I found ) satisfy the eqn
(though this trial is the main problem that i faced)

So the thing is I need the exact proof and not trial.

The general idea is to show that if x,y,z is a solution then x/2,y/2,z/2 is also a solution. It's an infinite descent thing. One of x, y, and z must be even, right? Now consider divisibility by 4. You won't get the exact proof here. You only get hints. You'll have to work the proof out for yourself.

Ok .. here's what i did after your suggestion( thanks!)

since it must keep on working for x/2 , y/2 , z/2 and then by 4 and so on finally it must come to x/x , y/y , z/z (that is 1 ,1 ,1)

So the equation comes as this

1^2 + 1^2 + 1^2 = 2 * 1 * 1 *1

But since the equality doesn't hold true... well the only answer remaining is x = y = z =0.

Is this right??

Ooops. Actually my 'hint' isn't even right. The equation isn't homogeneous in x, y, z. Sorry. Here's what I meant to say. Suppose 2^k is the largest power of two dividing all of the numbers x, y and z. Then x=2^k*x', y=2^k*y', z=2^k*z', where at least one of x', y', z' is odd. Write out the equation in terms of x', y' and z' and show you have a problem mod 4.

Got it!

writing in terms of x', y', z'

(2kx')2 + (2ky')2 + (2kz')2 = 2 * (2kx') * (2ky') * (2kz')

x' + y' + z' = 23k+1-2k * x'* y'* z'

x' + y' + z' = 2k+1 * x'* y'* z'

But this contradicts the main problem statement..in terms of x'* y'* z'(for all values except 0 = x = y = z)

Right?

And also I want to know what was that mod 4 cause I don't know how to use it in a sum. Could you please tell me how to do this sum by that method?

The legend said:
Got it!

writing in terms of x', y', z'

(2kx')2 + (2ky')2 + (2kz')2 = 2 * (2kx') * (2ky') * (2kz')

x' + y' + z' = 23k+1-2k * x'* y'* z'

x' + y' + z' = 2k+1 * x'* y'* z'

But this contradicts the main problem statement..in terms of x'* y'* z'(for all values except 0 = x = y = z)

Right?

And also I want to know what was that mod 4 cause I don't know how to use it in a sum. Could you please tell me how to do this sum by that method?

What happened the squares on x' etc? And how is that a contradiction? If you square an odd number what's its value mod 4? How about squaring an even number?

Since I don't know much about this mod 4(nothing at all actually!) I will try this out when I learn about it. Can you suggest from which website can i learn about this mod?? (Its not in my syllabus so no school teacher going to teach me nor do I have the books havin that )

Last edited:

A value of x 'mod 4' is just the remainder you get if you divide x by 4. If x is even what's the remainder if you divide x^2 by 4? Answer the same question in the case x is odd. You can also try looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic or there must be a lot of other references.

Examples:

2 mod 4=2
3 mod 4=3
4 mod 4=0
5 mod 4=1
6 mod 4=2
7 mod 4=3
8 mod 4=0
etc etc

1. What is the "Sum of squares equation problem"?

The "Sum of squares equation problem" is a statistical method used to determine the variability of a set of data. It involves calculating the squared differences between each data point and the mean of the data set, and then summing these squared differences to get the total sum of squares.

2. What is the purpose of the "Sum of squares equation problem"?

The purpose of the "Sum of squares equation problem" is to measure the variability or dispersion of data points around the mean. This helps to understand the spread of the data and how representative the mean is of the entire data set.

3. How is the "Sum of squares equation problem" used in statistical analysis?

The "Sum of squares equation problem" is used in various statistical analyses, such as calculating variance and standard deviation, performing ANOVA (analysis of variance), and determining the coefficient of determination in regression analysis.

4. Can the "Sum of squares equation problem" be applied to any type of data?

Yes, the "Sum of squares equation problem" can be applied to any type of data, including numerical, categorical, and even binary data. However, the interpretation of the results may differ depending on the type of data.

5. What is the relationship between the "Sum of squares equation problem" and the mean squared error?

The mean squared error (MSE) is a variation of the "Sum of squares equation problem" that is used to measure the average squared difference between the observed values and the predicted values in regression analysis. The MSE is essentially the sum of squares divided by the number of data points, and it is commonly used to evaluate the accuracy of a regression model.