Sum of squares of coordinates equals 9

  • Thread starter Thread starter aisha
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Point
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
aisha
Messages
584
Reaction score
0
For any point of a locus, the sum of the squares of the coordinates is 9 determine the equation of the locus. And draw a diagram.

I can only think of the obvious x^2+y^2=9 ?

Can someone please help me quick!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
are you sure? What should the diagram look like? I have a circle with a line called r for the radius and a point on the circle labelled P(x,y) and the center (0,0) that's it? What else?
 
Can you think of any point whos coordinates squared don't lie on that line?

We can get into a whole bunch of trig to prove it if you'd like :)
 
ok I hope this answer is correct I am going to submit it. OK OK I BELIEVE U THANKS SOO MUCH last assignment question seemed cheezy just wanted to make sure b4 i handed it in thanks soo much
:smile:
 
Last edited: