Sum of squares of 2 non-commutating operators

In summary, Prof Adams discusses the factorization of operators and reminds us of the identity for complex scalars, ##c^2+d^2=(c-id)(c+id)##. When applied to operators, this formula results in an additional commutator due to the non-commutativity of operators. However, the cross-terms in the factorization do not cancel, but instead result in a constant term which can be calculated.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
Prof Adams does something rather strange, starting from 14:35 minutes in this lecture -- http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2013/lecture-videos/lecture-9/

He reminds us that for complex scalars, ##c^2+d^2=(c-id)(c+id)## and then proceeds to do the same with operators,

factorizing ##\frac{\hat{X}^2}{X_0^2}+\frac{\hat{P}^2}{P_0^2}##

in this way :

##=(\frac{\hat{X}}{X_0}-i\frac{\hat{P}}{P_0})(\frac{\hat{X}}{X_0}+i\frac{\hat{P}}{P_0})##

which he re-expands into a sum of squares plus a NON-ZERO commutator.

Is it not true that the identity he started with, i.e. ##c^2+d^2=(c-id)(c+id)## for complex scalars - is valid precisely when (and because) ##icd=idc##? So how does this apply to the operators where ##XP\ne{PX}## ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Swamp Thing said:
Is it not true that the identity he started with, i.e. ##c^2+d^2=(c-id)(c+id)## for complex scalars - is valid precisely when (and because) ##icd=idc##?
Of course, and this is exactly the reason why you get an additional commutator when you try to generalize this formula to non-commuting operators.

Thanks, but I'm still confused.

I'm not sure how you can equate/replace ##\frac{\hat{X}^2}{X_0^2}+\frac{\hat{P}^2}{P_0^2}##

with

##(\frac{\hat{X}}{X_0}-i\frac{\hat{P}}{P_0})(\frac{\hat{X}}{X_0}+i\frac{\hat{P}}{P_0})##

in the first place, when you know that the cross terms in the latter are not going to cancel?

Swamp Thing said:
Thanks, but I'm still confused.

I'm not sure how you can equate/replace ##\frac{\hat{X}^2}{X_0^2}+\frac{\hat{P}^2}{P_0^2}##

with

##(\frac{\hat{X}}{X_0}-i\frac{\hat{P}}{P_0})(\frac{\hat{X}}{X_0}+i\frac{\hat{P}}{P_0})##

in the first place, when you know that the cross terms in the latter are not going to cancel?

They don't cancel, but the cross-terms are a constant. So:

[itex]\frac{\hat{X}^2}{X_0^2}+\frac{\hat{P}^2}{P_0^2} = (\frac{\hat{X}}{X_0}-i\frac{\hat{P}}{P_0})(\frac{\hat{X}}{X_0}+i\frac{\hat{P}}{P_0}) + K[/itex]

You can work out what the constant [itex]K[/itex] is.

Thank you.

1. What is the sum of squares of two non-commutating operators?

The sum of squares of two non-commutating operators is a mathematical operation that involves taking the square of each operator and adding them together. Non-commutating operators do not commute, meaning their order matters in the operation.

2. How is the sum of squares of two non-commutating operators different from the sum of squares of two commuting operators?

The sum of squares of two commuting operators is simply the square of each operator added together, regardless of their order. However, for non-commutating operators, the order matters and the result will be different depending on which operator is squared first.

3. What is the significance of the sum of squares of two non-commutating operators in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the sum of squares of two non-commutating operators is used to calculate the uncertainty of a system. This uncertainty arises due to the non-commutative nature of certain physical quantities, such as position and momentum.

4. Can the sum of squares of two non-commutating operators be simplified?

In most cases, the sum of squares of two non-commutating operators cannot be simplified. However, there are some special cases where simplification is possible, such as when the operators have certain commutation relations.

5. How is the sum of squares of two non-commutating operators related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the more precisely one physical quantity is known, the less precisely another related quantity can be known. The sum of squares of two non-commutating operators is used to calculate the uncertainty in these related quantities, thus demonstrating the connection to the uncertainty principle.