Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of two closed sets are measurable

1. Mar 25, 2012 #1
    I tried very long time to show that
    For closed subset A,B of R^d, A+B is measurable.

A little bit of hint says that it's better to show that A+B is F-simga set...
    It seems also difficult for me as well...

Could you give some ideas for problems?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2012 #2
    Try showing that if A and B are compact, then A+B is also compact. Then in the general case where A and B are closed, can you see how to write A+B as the countable union of compact sets?

4. Mar 25, 2012 #3
    hmm.. I thought that if A,B is closed, then A+B is not necessarily closed...

5. Mar 25, 2012 #4
    That's true, but you're not being asked to prove that A+B is closed, you're being asked to prove that it's a countable union of closed sets. That's why you start with the case where A+B is compact. If A and B are compact instead of just closed, then A+B really is compact. Then you can use the fact that every closed set is a countable union of compact sets to prove that A+B is F_σ

6. Mar 25, 2012 #5
    Aha. I got your idea!
    I'm now wondering how I can show the fact that compactness is closed under the set addition..

Is it better to use open covering argument?

7. Mar 25, 2012 #6
    Actually it's probably faster to use the fact that a subset of R^n is compact iff every sequence has a convergent subsequence.

8. Mar 25, 2012 #7
    hmm.. I'm not sure It is actually true that every seq in A+B has a convergent subseq.

assuring the exsitence of conv subseq in A and B does not implies so as well A+B... Isn't it?

9. Mar 25, 2012 #8
    A sequence in A+B is of the form [itex]\{a_n + b_n\}_{n\in \mathbb{N}}[/itex], where [itex]a_n\in A[/itex] and [itex]b_n\in B[/itex]. Can you find a subsequence such that [itex]a_{n_k}[/itex] converges and [itex]b_{n_k}[/itex] converges? What does that say about [itex]a_{n_k} + b_{n_k}[/itex]?

10. Mar 25, 2012 #9
    I got it. Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook