Why is the scalar product negative when the sum of two vectors has smaller magnitude?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
jdief
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If the magnitude of the sum of two vectors is less than the magnitude of either vector, then:
-the vectors must be parallel and in the same direction
-the scalar product of the vectors must be negative
-none of these
-the scalar product of the vectors must be positive
-the vectors must be parallel and in opposite directions

Homework Equations


V1+V2=V3
A(dot)B=ABcos(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution


I know the answer is that the scalar product of the vectors must be negative, but I don't get why.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


jdief said:

Homework Statement


If the magnitude of the sum of two vectors is less than the magnitude of either vector, then:
-the vectors must be parallel and in the same direction
-the scalar product of the vectors must be negative
-none of these
-the scalar product of the vectors must be positive
-the vectors must be parallel and in opposite directions

Homework Equations


V1+V2=V3
A(dot)B=ABcos(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution


I know the answer is that the scalar product of the vectors must be negative, but I don't get why.
Hello jdief. Welcome to PF !

What have you tried?