Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation analogue of the factorial operation?

1. Jul 14, 2007 #1
    Is there such a thing?

The factorial is usually defined as
    [tex]n! = \prod_{k=1}^n k[/tex] if k is a natural number greater than or equal to 1.

Is there an operation that is defined as
    [tex]\sum_{k=0}^n k[/tex]
    if one wants to find, for instance, something like 5+4+3+2+1?

I ask because I was thinking about binomial expansions and Pascal's triangle, and I'm just curious as to why the factorial operation (!) exists for products but I've never heard of such a thing for sums.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2007 #2
    No, defining that operation would be fairly useless: the summation is equal to n(n+1)/2.

4. Jul 15, 2007 #3
    Haha, that's why :P

5. Jul 15, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

In case you wish to see why, we wish to sum : [tex]1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 \cdots n[/tex]. Add the last term, and the first term. We get n+1. Add the second last term, and the second term, we still get n+1. Add the third, and third last, we still get n+1. How many pairs of these (n+1)'s are there? Well if n is even we can easily see the number of pairs is n/2.

However is n is an Odd number, then the number of pairs that add up to (n+1) is (n-1)/2. And we still have a term in the middle, and we can see that one is (n+1)/2. Simple algebra gives the same sum : n(n+1)/2

6. Jul 15, 2007 #5
    Yes, I've heard the legend about Gauss as a child being asked to sum the numbers 1 through 100 and he realized he could do it in this way...that guy was a genius. I am trying to brush up on my Cal I and II this summer so I can commit this sort of thing to memory again. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  7. Jul 15, 2007 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

8. Jul 15, 2007 #7
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?