Summation analogue of the factorial operation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and usefulness of an operation similar to the factorial for sums, which is defined as n(n+1)/2. It is explained that this operation is not commonly used since it can easily be calculated through other means such as using the triangular numbers formula. The conversation also touches on the connection of this operation to Bernoulli's theorem and the use of sigma notation.
gabee
Is there such a thing?

The factorial is usually defined as
[tex]n! = \prod_{k=1}^n k[/tex] if k is a natural number greater than or equal to 1.

Is there an operation that is defined as
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^n k[/tex]
if one wants to find, for instance, something like 5+4+3+2+1?

I ask because I was thinking about binomial expansions and Pascal's triangle, and I'm just curious as to why the factorial operation (!) exists for products but I've never heard of such a thing for sums.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No, defining that operation would be fairly useless: the summation is equal to n(n+1)/2.

Haha, that's why :P

In case you wish to see why, we wish to sum : [tex]1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 \cdots n[/tex]. Add the last term, and the first term. We get n+1. Add the second last term, and the second term, we still get n+1. Add the third, and third last, we still get n+1. How many pairs of these (n+1)'s are there? Well if n is even we can easily see the number of pairs is n/2.

However is n is an Odd number, then the number of pairs that add up to (n+1) is (n-1)/2. And we still have a term in the middle, and we can see that one is (n+1)/2. Simple algebra gives the same sum : n(n+1)/2

Yes, I've heard the legend about Gauss as a child being asked to sum the numbers 1 through 100 and he realized he could do it in this way...that guy was a genius. I am trying to brush up on my Cal I and II this summer so I can commit this sort of thing to memory again. Thanks!

Last edited:
Last edited:

1. What is the summation analogue of the factorial operation?

The summation analogue of the factorial operation is a mathematical operation that calculates the sum of a series of numbers, similar to how the factorial operation calculates the product of a series of numbers. It is denoted by the symbol "∑" and is read as "sum".

2. How is the summation analogue of the factorial operation calculated?

The summation analogue of the factorial operation is calculated by adding up a series of numbers, starting from a given number and ending at a specified number. For example, if we want to calculate the sum of numbers from 1 to 5, we would write it as ∑n=15 n = 1+2+3+4+5 = 15.

3. What is the difference between the summation analogue of the factorial operation and the factorial operation?

The main difference between the two operations is that the factorial operation calculates the product of a series of numbers, while the summation analogue calculates the sum of a series of numbers. Additionally, the factorial operation only works with positive integers, whereas the summation analogue can work with any type of numbers.

4. How is the summation analogue of the factorial operation used in real-world applications?

The summation analogue of the factorial operation is commonly used in statistics, where it is used to calculate the sum of a series of data points. It is also used in calculus to calculate the area under a curve, and in computer programming to calculate the sum of values in a loop.

5. Can the summation analogue of the factorial operation be extended to include infinite series?

Yes, the summation analogue of the factorial operation can be extended to include infinite series. This is known as an infinite sum or a series, and it is used in advanced mathematics to calculate limits, derivatives, and integrals. However, it is important to note that infinite series can only be calculated in certain cases and not all series will have a definite sum.