Summation of random sequences and convolution in pdf domain?

In summary, I attempted to define a function which calculates the pmf vector from the input sequence x, but I was unable to do it for a histogram. This is probably because the input/output relation between input vector x and pmf vector is not linear.
dexterdev
Hi all,
I have an all time doubt here. We know that if r.v z = x + y where x and y are 2 random sequences having corresponding pdfs p(x) and p(y), the pdf of z, p(z) = convolution ( p(x),p(y) ). I have seen the derivation for the continuous case although not thorough how to prove it. I wanted a proof for the discrete case (ie, x , y and z are discrete). I attempted through a straight forward method and got stuck. My method was defining a function which calculates the pmf vector from the input sequence x. I thought I would get an input output relation between input vector x and pmf vector.Even for a histogram I could not do it. Why is it so? Is it because of the nonlinearity?

My aim was to try this:

x1 ----> p(x1)
x2 ----> p(x2)

z= x1+x2 ------> p(z) = p(x1 + x2) = conv(p(x1),p(x2))

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you defining a "convolution"? Your notation doesn't make it clear.

There are ideas of convolution that are more general than the convolution of probability density functions. You might not get the right answer if you are using the wrong definition of convolution.

To compute the probability that Z = z, you add up the probabilities of all the combinations of values (x,y) such that x + y = z. For discrete random variables, this is usually represented by a summation. Is that what your are doing?

@chiro - Yes Sir... You are right.

To apply the discrete definition to histograms, you would have to get the range of the indexes in the sum correct. They wouldn't go to infinity.

What you mean by "conv(p(x1),p(x2))" is unclear. Is this a function in computer software?

If you can't explain what you are doing, try giving a simple example, like two histograms, each having 3 bins. Show the calculations that don't work.

ok here goes

by conv(p(x1),p(x2)) I meant convolution of p(x1) and p(x2).

Attachments

• hist_prob.jpg
    hist_prob.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 400
dexterdev said:
ok here goes

by conv(p(x1),p(x2)) I meant convolution of p(x1) and p(x2).

Are you unable to explain how the function conv(..) works?

Can you calculate the probability that the sum of the dice is 4 from your data?

1. What is the definition of summation of random sequences?

The summation of random sequences refers to the process of adding together a series of randomly generated numbers. This can be done with a finite number of terms or an infinite series, and the resulting sum is also considered a random variable.

2. How is summation of random sequences related to probability distributions?

The summation of random sequences is closely related to probability distributions, as the resulting sum is also a random variable with its own probability distribution. This distribution can be calculated using mathematical techniques such as convolution.

3. What is the role of convolution in the pdf domain?

Convolution is a mathematical operation used to combine two probability distributions to determine the resulting distribution of the sum of two random variables. In the pdf (probability density function) domain, convolution is used to calculate the probability density function of the sum of two random variables.

4. Can summation of random sequences and convolution be applied to real-world scenarios?

Yes, summation of random sequences and convolution have numerous applications in real-world scenarios. For example, they are used in signal processing to combine multiple signals and in finance to model stock price movements. They are also used in probability and statistics to analyze the behavior of random variables.

5. What are some common techniques used to calculate convolution in the pdf domain?

Some common techniques used to calculate convolution in the pdf domain include the Fourier transform, Laplace transform, and moment generating functions. These mathematical tools allow for the efficient and accurate calculation of the resulting probability distribution of the sum of two random variables.