Summer 2013 Math and Science REU Thread

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of applying for REU programs, with participants sharing the programs they are applying to and discussing the possibility of grouping together related subjects in one thread. They also discuss their experiences with the application process and ask questions about recommendations and whether being an older student may be considered an underrepresented group. Participants also share their acceptance and rejection from programs, and discuss the workload and the potential of taking online courses while participating in an REU.
Got an email from LSU - 300 applicants for 10 spots - rejected :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Hercuflea said:
Got an email from LSU - 300 applicants for 10 spots - rejected :/

Same here.

Just received an offer from MSU, anyone know anything about the program?

Is anyone else here going to be attending the Cornell SMI?

Got an offer from Iowa State that I will probably take. Anyone else going?

Has anyone heard from the Oakland University math reu?

Is anyone here also going to the Central Michigan math REU?

verdricity said:

What project will you be there for? (I'm not going, just curious.)

verdricity said:

Sent a confirmation email yesterday!

Anyone doing SUNY Potsdam?

alabala said:
What project will you be there for? (I'm not going, just curious.)

We don't formally decide until a few days into the REU, but I'm pretty sure I'll be doing the project on frame theory (it's the one I geared my application towards and the professor leading the project wants me on it as well).

bsghost, what project are you interested in?

Is it safe to say that programs with applications due in February are all filled up now? It's starting to look grim for me now... even after applying to so many :/

verdricity said:
bsghost, what project are you interested in?

I haven't decided on a particular one yet, but currently I'm interested in the Thermostats and Frames topics.

Anyone heard from Rochester, Cornell LEPP, or Purdue? (all physics) I'm getting a bit nervous.

Has anyone heard from Kent State, Grand Valley State, or UGA (infectious disease) REUs?

Grand Valley has already sent out their offers.

Rejection from SDSU math REU. They said they had 350 applicants for 12 spots.

Anyone got back form Kansas State University?

For physics/astronomy:

Rutgers, UWyoming - rejected
Maria Mitchell Observatory - waitlisted (180 apps for 6 spots)
TCU, UT-Austin (McDonald Obs) - no NSF funding
Still waiting to hear back from: UOklahoma, NCSU (URCA), Baylor (CASPER) and any member schools from the SARA REU or CIC-SROP

Accepted to KSU and LSU. Anyone know which has better condensed matter mentors/facilities? I'm leaning towards LSU. Also asked for more decision time because I haven't heard back from the majority of my applications :(

Invyz said:
Accepted to KSU and LSU. Anyone know which has better condensed matter mentors/facilities? I'm leaning towards LSU. Also asked for more decision time because I haven't heard back from the majority of my applications :(

Congratulations on both of those. Did LSU tell you what your project would be? Because I thought KSU didn't tell you your project until April or something. Also, KSU lists the projects from prior years on their website, and it looks like there were only two condensed matter projects last year. LSU lists the potential projects for this year, and there are 6 in condensed matter, so that's a pretty big difference.

No, they didn't specify a project, but they pointed me towards the experimental condensed matter guys. Also LSU has apartment style living versus dorms at KSU

Oakland U. sent out rejections

MPKU said:
Oakland U. sent out rejections

When did you hear from them? I haven't heard anything

Has anyone heard from Miami U (SUMSRI)?

Lehigh University and Brigham sent out rejections today.. to me at least. Hey, at least Lehigh offered to waive the application fee when I apply to graduate school next semester.

foxmichellem said:
When did you hear from them? I haven't heard anything

Friday they e-mailed me. It was for the SMaRT program.

I accepted my offer for Boulder, Colorado. My roommate accepted CIAN today. His project will be at Columbia University.

Does anyone know whether an REU would be considered an internship? Fellowship? Something else?

I believe the REU I accepted coins it as a research "internship".

Rejected from the SUNY Potsdam/Clarkson REU.

I got into one at FSU, but told them I had a final exam and I would be late 3 days, so then they had to rescind their offer.

Woopydalan said:
I got into one at FSU, but told them I had a final exam and I would be late 3 days, so then they had to rescind their offer.

That's incredibly surprising. Most REU programs seem to be flexible with the dates.

Just accepted an offer from NCSU. Anyone else headed there?

Accepted an offer to MSU, anyone else?