1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer Opportunities for an Undergrad Sophomore

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    I am a sophomore physics and mathematics major at a very small, private liberal arts school. I currently have a 3.82 cumulative GPA and have taken all the intro level physics and math classes, and am now entering upper level classes. I am a white female. I work as a physics/math tutor and also an introductory level physics lab assistant. I have one publication coming out in April. I am looking to enter a graduate program and eventually a Ph.D. program in Astrophysics, Planetary Science, or something of the like.

The one thing my resume is lacking is research experience. I am very interested in research for the summer, but do not have many opportunities at my school, so I applied to a couple of REU programs. I was unfortunately not accepted to any of them, and feel a bit discouraged. I would really like to do SOMETHING physics related this summer, preferable to astronomy or astro, but I will take any job math/physics related that I can get.

I was wondering if any of you on the forum had any suggestions of programs that I might still be able to apply for, places I might look for an opportunity, or just how to go about asking for opportunities? I really appreciate any help.

Steph

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2013 #2
    Hi, I'm in a similar situation. Those national labs have so many applicants, don't be discouraged. Right now I'm researching my field (chemical engineering/polymer science) to find companies where I might intern. Unfortunately, their websites NEVER *almost never* have job openings for internships in the labs or process floors... anyway I wish you the best of luck in your search for summer experience!

4. Mar 27, 2013 #3
    Thanks you too!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook