1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summing cosines of different amplitude

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1
    Hi there

I am trying to sum many cosines of different amplitude and phase shift, but same ang. frequency (it's not a coursework question). My first thoughts are to sum them two at a time (to simplify matters?), probably using complex numbers. I tried doing it symbolically in MATLAB but it wasn't able to simplify things. Supposing the ang. frequency is 1, I know that the solution can be written:

C\cos (t + \delta ) + D\cos (t + \varepsilon ) = E\cos (t + \varphi)}

where I would have to solve for E and phi. Or equivalently:

\displaystyle{Ae^{i(t + \delta )} + e^{i(t + \varepsilon )} = Be^{i(t + \varphi )}}

where I would have to solve for B and phi.

Then I split things into two equations (one using real part/cosines, other using imag. part/sines), and eliminate B. Unfortunately this approach doesn't seem to help, as I just end up with a messy arctan of sums of sines and cosines (of different amplitudes -- i.e. back to original problem!).

Any suggestions as to a more fruitful approach?

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2
    Ok, nevermind, got it figured out! Just used a bit of geometry
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?