Sun elevation for ISS visibility

• I
  • Thread starter Cristiano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iss Sun
In summary, the speaker uses multiple websites to search for visible passes of the ISS in a specific location. They then calculate the Sun's elevation as seen from the ISS and are surprised to find low elevations such as -3.8 for ISS magnitude and -19.9 degrees for Sun elevation. The speaker suspects that this is due to high atmospheric refraction, but is unsure of the lowest Sun elevation to consider the ISS outside of Earth's shadow. They request the formulas for calculating this information.
Cristiano
I use several web sites to search the visible passes of the ISS over a given location.
Then I calculate the Sun elevation as seen from the ISS and I get surprisingly low elevations; for example, I get ISS magnitude= -3.8 and Sun elevation at the ISS= -19.9 deg.
I suppose that the atmospheric refraction is very high, but what's the lowest Sun elevation to consider the ISS outside the Earth's shadow?

Thank you

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You can look up the ISS height and the radius of Earth and calculate it yourself.

-19.9 is just at the edge of visibility.

Please, would you post the formulas?

What is the sun elevation for ISS visibility?

The sun elevation for ISS visibility refers to the angle at which the sun appears above the horizon when the International Space Station (ISS) is visible from a specific location on Earth.

How is the sun elevation calculated for ISS visibility?

The sun elevation is calculated using the latitude and longitude coordinates of the location where the ISS will be visible. This data is combined with the orbital trajectory of the ISS to determine the exact angle at which the sun will appear above the horizon during the time of visibility.

What is the ideal sun elevation for viewing the ISS?

The ideal sun elevation for viewing the ISS depends on the time of day and weather conditions. Generally, a sun elevation of at least 10 degrees is recommended for optimal visibility, but a higher elevation and clear skies will provide a clearer and brighter view.

What factors can affect the sun elevation for ISS visibility?

The sun elevation for ISS visibility can be affected by various factors such as the location of the viewer, the time of day, the orbital trajectory of the ISS, and weather conditions. Additionally, the angle of the sun may change due to the Earth's rotation, which can affect the visibility of the ISS.

Where can I find the sun elevation for ISS visibility?

The sun elevation for ISS visibility can be found on various websites and applications that track the ISS, as well as on NASA's official website. It can also be calculated using specialized tools and software designed for ISS tracking and visibility prediction.