Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Sun's Magnetic Field, Global Warming

1. May 9, 2017 #1
    In the class our prof said, Sun changes its magnetic poles in every 11 year.And when changes the black spots on the sun increases Is this true ?
    Also she said Sun's cosmic radiation waves destroyes the upper atmosphere of earth.It was something like this.I dont quite remember.Actually thata the reason why I am asking to these questions here.She also said for 60 years earth was hot due to this reason.

Any different ideas ? Things that you want to change ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Yes, this is known as the solar cycle.

The Sun's radiation isn't destroying the atmosphere. UV radiation is absorbed by the atmosphere, especially the ozone layer, but I've never heard of it being a major contributor to global warming. There are thousands upon thousands of different things that affect the global climate and just trying to identify them all is extremely complicated, let alone figuring out how they all interact with each other and how much effect each one has.

4. May 9, 2017 #3
    I see, maybe she said something else but I dont quite remember it.Probably I said it wrong in here.Do we know why black spots on the sun increase due to magnetic field changes ?

5. May 9, 2017 #4

Drakkith

I honestly don't know. Perhaps someone else here can answer that.

6. May 9, 2017 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

With all due respect, shouldn't you pay more attention in class? "My teacher said something that I don't remember - please explain it to me" is a very difficult question to answer.

7. May 9, 2017 #6
    I was listening but it was near the end of class and class is like 100 people so I couldnt hear then I thought I could ask her but another people went her to ask things so I thought I can ask in here.

8. May 9, 2017 #7

jim mcnamara

9. May 9, 2017 #8
  10. May 9, 2017 #9
    I looked also this and its interesting actually.As my prof said sunspots are increasing during these magnetic field changes

"Sunspots eventually decay, releasing magnetic flux in the photosphere. This flux is dispersed and churned by turbulent convection and solar large-scale flows. These transport mechanisms lead to the accumulation of magnetized decay products at high solar latitudes, eventually reversing the polarity of the polar fields (notice how the blue and yellow fields reverse in the Hathaway/NASA/MSFC graph above).The dipolar component of the solar magnetic field reverses polarity around the time of solar maximum and reaches peak strength at the solar minimum." (Wikipedia,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle)

So I think here explains why we observe more sunspots.But I didnt quite understand it.Also I looked how the solar cycle affects climate and it says it nearly doesnt affect.
    500px-Sunspot_Numbers.png
    In this graph Sunspots are increasing (in average) is that means something ?

11. May 9, 2017 #10

Drakkith

Not as far as I know. Our Sun is more than 4 billion years old but we've only been keeping records of sunspots for a few hundred years. If we could look back over this long time period it's likely we would see averages far above what we see now and stretches of highs and lows that last for much longer than perhaps 50 years.

12. May 9, 2017 #11
    Makes sense..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted