Why does the solar wind follow magnetic field lines?

In summary: This spiralling effect is a direct cause of a moving charged particle in a magnetic field. The motion of the charged particles is also deflected by Earth's magnetic field, which causes them to interact with the atmosphere and create the beautiful northern lights.
Thynazgul
My physics teacher said that the northern lights are the product of charged particles coming from the sun and interactign with our atmosphere. I believe he said that these are deflected by Earth's magnetic field and directed towards the North and South poles.

When I look at pictures on this topic, the Earth's magnetic field is shown to be similar to a bar magnet's field. The solar wind then goes perpendicular to it and seems to follow the lines. Shouldn't the particles experience a magnetic force that is perpendicular to both their velocity and the magnetic field, and therefore end somewhere else that's not the North or South? For example, in the picture attached the arrows at the centre impact the field when its going up, with a velocity vector pointing right. Why is the force vector not going "out of the page"?

Attachments

• field.jpg
    field.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 954
  • earth.gif
    earth.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 595
Physics news on Phys.org
Thynazgul said:
I believe he said that these are deflected by Earth's magnetic field and directed towards the North and South poles.

poor wording ... some of these are trapped by the Earth's magnetic field ... would have been much better
Note ... Not ALL of the particles are trapped, many are deflected ... it's the trapped ones that cause the aurora

Thynazgul said:
When I look at pictures on this topic, the Earth's magnetic field is shown to be similar to a bar magnet's field.

yes

Thynazgul said:
The solar wind then goes perpendicular to it and seems to follow the lines.

a very basic and as a result a very poor drawing
The charged particles in the solar wind, namely protons and electrons, actually spiral down the field lines, rather than following them straight down. The spiralling effect is a direct cause of a moving charged particle in a magnetic field.

Thynazgul said:
Shouldn't the particles experience a magnetic force that is perpendicular to both their velocity and the magnetic field, and therefore end somewhere else that's not the North or South? For example, in the picture attached the arrows at the centre impact the field when its going up, with a velocity vector pointing right. Why is the force vector not going "out of the page"?
they do, see my previous comment ... again forget about that pic ... it is VERY BAD

This is better ...

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atmos/aurora.html

https://www-spof.gsfc.nasa.gov/Education/wtrap1.html

Dave

Likes Asymptotic, Ibix, vanhees71 and 2 others

1. Why does the solar wind follow magnetic field lines?

The solar wind follows magnetic field lines because the charged particles in the solar wind are affected by the magnetic field of the Sun. The magnetic field lines act as a guide for the particles, directing them along a path.

2. How does the magnetic field of the Sun affect the solar wind?

The magnetic field of the Sun plays a crucial role in shaping and directing the solar wind. The field lines act as a channel, guiding the charged particles and preventing them from escaping into space.

3. What causes the magnetic field of the Sun?

The magnetic field of the Sun is generated by the movement of charged particles within the Sun's interior. As the particles move, they create electric currents, which in turn create a magnetic field.

4. Does the strength of the magnetic field affect the solar wind?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field does have an impact on the solar wind. A stronger magnetic field can influence the direction and speed of the solar wind, while a weaker field may allow for more particles to escape into space.

5. Are there other factors besides the magnetic field that influence the solar wind?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the solar wind, such as solar flares and coronal mass ejections. These events can disrupt the magnetic field and can cause changes in the behavior of the solar wind.