Superconductivity and electron pair

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of superconductivity and the role of electron pairs in the supercurrent of certain materials. The question is raised about how these pairs form and their differences compared to single electrons. It is suggested that the conduction is driven by bound pairs of electrons within the valence band. The speaker asks for help in understanding Cooper Pairing and is directed to do preliminary reading on electron pairs and lone pairs before studying Cooper Pairing.
kthouz
Hi all!
I am learning superconductivity for the first time. As i saw, the supercurrent of some material is governed mainly by electron pair!
Now my question raises here, how do those electron pairs form? What are their features compared to single electrons?

Here is what i guess: "at very low temperature (T <Tc), the valence shell is fully filled and no electron can have enough thermal energy to make it excited up to the conduction band. And according to Pauli principle, the number of possible electrons that can live together with opposite spins is limited to 2. Now i guess that the conduction (supercurrent) is driven by these pairs of electrons that are bound together and hence the conduction is within the valence band. what do you think?"
Please, i need your help to understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are essentially asking us to teach you about Cooper Pairing, which isn't going to be easy on a forum like this. I would suggest you do some preliminary reading first, and then come back and see if you have other issues that you don't understand.

Start with this:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/coop.html

Zz.

What is superconductivity?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon in which certain materials, when cooled below a certain temperature, exhibit zero electrical resistance and expel magnetic fields.

What are superconductors?

Superconductors are materials that have the ability to conduct electricity without any resistance when cooled below their critical temperature.

What are electron pairs in superconductivity?

Electron pairs refer to a pair of electrons that are bound together in a superconducting material. These pairs are responsible for the zero resistance and other unique properties of superconductors.

How does the pairing of electrons occur in superconductivity?

The pairing of electrons in superconductors is a result of the attractive forces between them. This can be caused by interactions with the crystal lattice of the material or through the exchange of phonons, which are vibrations in the crystal structure.

What are the practical applications of superconductivity and electron pairs?

Superconductivity and electron pairs have many practical applications, such as in the development of more efficient power transmission lines, high-speed trains, and medical imaging devices. They also have potential uses in quantum computing and other advanced technologies.