Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superconductivity emerging between spacially separated phases?

1. Dec 9, 2007 #1

I was wondering if theoretical or experimental work has been done on superconductivity being created at interface between different phases?

I read a paper where they claim to have found a very thin superconducting layer between insulating oxides, but are the more sources? Especially theoretic. Say where superconductivity is created in the interface layer between two materials.

I'm particularly interested if superconductivity can emerge in a limited area around impurities? (say a charge impurity in an AF background)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2008 #2
  4. Apr 14, 2008 #3
    i think the thing you are talking about is Josephon Junction but it depends on the thickness of the layer of the insulator ((THIN))
    and the phase difference between the wave function of the copper pair on either side of te junction.
    Nb-NbO-Nb junction and the phase difference is propotional to the voltage applied if applied and they call it ALTERNative current Josephon Junction
  5. Apr 14, 2008 #4
    What would be good applications for this?
  6. Apr 15, 2008 #5
    ok let me tell you this is very important in designig and making
    1/ very sensitive MAGNETOMETERS called SQUID (( Superconducting Quantum Interference Dvices )) because magnetic field changes as small as 10^-21 T can be detected by SQUIDs, which can make us sense the weak magnetic field produced by biolgical currents such as those in the brain.
    2/ and it's being used in measurment it gives the conversion between frequency and voltage because we know f=dflux/dt=2Ve/h where frequency is propotional to voltage then frequency can be measured very accurately.
    and it provides us a very precise voltage determination and it gives us the present defination of Volt ((one volt is the potential difference across Josephson junction that produces oscillation at frequency of 483.5979 THz ((f=2e/h)).
    2/ it is still under heavy research and it will be very good for electronics engineers to ((single electron transistor)) (( Coulomb blockade effect))
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?