Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superconductors and best conductors

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    Hello Forum

gold, silver, copper are the best electrical conductors are room temperature. But they cannot be superconductors: there is no finite, low critical temperature at which they become superconductors...

But what if we could bring their temperature to 0 kelvin? I believe that all metals become superconductors (R=0) at o kelvin, correct?
    All materials? Even insulators, can be become superconductors at 0 k?

thanks
    fisico30

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2012 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There's a difference between a metal having "zero" resistivity and a superconductor. A superconductor has a stricter criteria, and, it is a "phase transition".

One needs to look at the Meissner effect, and the different between a diamagnet and perfect diamagnet. It is clearly manifested when cooling in a magnetic field.

BTW, most metals do not have zero resistance at T=0. There is something called residual resistivity that starts to creep up as one gets very close to 0K.

Zz.

4. Jul 10, 2012 #3
    Ok, thanks, I see.

So silver does not have a critical temperature and it may not even have zero resistivity at T=0 K.....

As far as the current flowing in superconductors go: I think the current can only be a surface current, regardless of it being DC or AC...
    Is that correct? If so, why?
    thanks
    fisico30

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook