1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Supersonic bullet - drag

1. Apr 4, 2017 #1
    I'm a computer scientist currently developing projectile simulators. My software will factor in drag coefficients of various shaped projectiles as well as gravity, air pressures, air density and temperatures at various heights. I am familiar with the drag formula but it's only useful up to Mach 0.8. Please help me understand what additional formulas I must use for speeds beyond Mach 0.8 in the thought experiment below:

Assuming that a bullet is a perfect sphere like a musket ball fired out of a hypothetically long barrel tank type caliber musket with 100mm caliber with enough energy to send the ball to supersonic speeds at say mach 1.5 and the ball is a sphere: drag coefficient of 0.47.

Assuming the ball leaves the barrel at mach 1.8 at an angle of 45 degrees, the ball will continue to slow down from supersonic to sub-sonic speeds.

What formula should I use to calculate drag while the ball is still in supersonic speeds?
    What formula should I use to calculate drag while the ball slows to trans-sonic speeds?(mach 0.8-1.4)
    I'm assuming that once it slows down to mach 0.8 I can use the normal drag formula that factors in drag coefficient.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

What you're asking for is a quick course in engineering ballistics. We can't help much here with that.

I would suggest finding a good book on the subject and do some self learning.

Here's one such resource:

http://www.swri.org/4org/d18/engdyn/survmech/home.htm

Others might be found via Google searches.

4. Apr 6, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

And with jedi's helpful post, this thread is done. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook