What formulas should I use to calculate drag for a supersonic bullet?

In summary, the conversation is about a computer scientist developing projectile simulators and needing help understanding additional formulas for speeds beyond Mach 0.8. They discuss a hypothetical thought experiment involving a perfect sphere bullet fired at supersonic speeds and slowing down to sub-sonic speeds. It is suggested to find a book or other resources for self-learning on engineering ballistics.
darkdave3000
I'm a computer scientist currently developing projectile simulators. My software will factor in drag coefficients of various shaped projectiles as well as gravity, air pressures, air density and temperatures at various heights. I am familiar with the drag formula but it's only useful up to Mach 0.8. Please help me understand what additional formulas I must use for speeds beyond Mach 0.8 in the thought experiment below:

Assuming that a bullet is a perfect sphere like a musket ball fired out of a hypothetically long barrel tank type caliber musket with 100mm caliber with enough energy to send the ball to supersonic speeds at say mach 1.5 and the ball is a sphere: drag coefficient of 0.47.

Assuming the ball leaves the barrel at mach 1.8 at an angle of 45 degrees, the ball will continue to slow down from supersonic to sub-sonic speeds.

What formula should I use to calculate drag while the ball is still in supersonic speeds?
What formula should I use to calculate drag while the ball slows to trans-sonic speeds?(mach 0.8-1.4)
I'm assuming that once it slows down to mach 0.8 I can use the normal drag formula that factors in drag coefficient.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
And with jedi's helpful post, this thread is done. :smile:

What is a supersonic bullet?

A supersonic bullet is a projectile that travels faster than the speed of sound, which is approximately 343 meters per second in air at sea level.

What is drag?

Drag is the force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down. In the case of a supersonic bullet, drag is caused by the resistance of air molecules as the bullet travels through the air.

How does drag affect a supersonic bullet?

Drag has a significant impact on a supersonic bullet, as it causes a decrease in velocity and can alter the trajectory of the bullet. This can ultimately affect the accuracy and range of the bullet.

What factors affect drag on a supersonic bullet?

The primary factors that affect drag on a supersonic bullet are its shape, size, speed, and air density. A more streamlined and aerodynamic bullet will experience less drag compared to a larger and less aerodynamic bullet. Additionally, the higher the speed of the bullet and the lower the air density, the lower the drag force will be.

How can drag on a supersonic bullet be reduced?

To reduce drag on a supersonic bullet, the design of the bullet can be optimized to be more aerodynamic. This can include using a pointed shape and reducing the size of the bullet. Additionally, using materials with lower drag coefficients, such as copper or brass, can also help reduce drag. Finally, reducing the speed of the bullet or increasing the air density can also decrease drag.