1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Supervisor student relationship

1. Nov 11, 2016 #1
    Hi, I got admitted into a graduate program in physics. My prospective supervisor pulled through my application and got me admitted.

I was asked later by my supervisor which other programs I got admitted into?

Is this a common question for a supervisor to ask?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2016 #2
    What's wrong in it. He just wants to know in detail about your plan such that he can guide you.

4. Nov 11, 2016 #3
    No, it's not strange at all, especially if you don't yet have funding information. If they're competing against Princeton for you, their funding offer will be much better than if they're competing against the University of NoName.

5. Nov 12, 2016 #4
    I'm already two months into the program, and my supervisor knows me well enough.

He also pointed out that I was lucky enough to be admitted in the department, because he had no intentions of taking on a second student (he admitted one other student early in the year) and that the only reason I got in was because he was continually being emailed by the graduate secretary if he had some applicant that met the criteria of some bursary that was not being taken up by anyone else.

So, he basically scanned his list of applicants for students who met the criteria and I happened to be one of two students who met the criteria. He ended by mentioning that I was very lucky to be admitted in the department.

6. Nov 12, 2016 #5

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Jee, that must have been motivating to hear.

I would ask him (politely, kindly) whether he is actually interested in being your supervisor. A supervisor that does his job mostly because of obligation may not be very helpful.

7. Nov 12, 2016 #6
    I disagree. Just because a supervisor wasn't keen on beginning a relationship doesn't mean he won't do the right thing once he's in it.

It's fairly universal for advisers to warm up to students who work hard and follow advice, but grow cooler toward students who don't seem to work hard or follow advice.

I tend to look at relationships from both sides: you get out of relationships what you put into them. In scientific collaborations, both students and advisers should work hard and try and pull more than their weight. Sometime you have to make a pest of yourself to get an opportunity, but once the door is open, it's up to you to make good on it. Apparently the secretary was pestering him on your behalf. Be encouraged. Your hard work will likely be rewarded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted