Supervisor student relationship

In summary: Apparently the secretary was pestering him on your behalf. Be encouraged. Your hard work will likely be rewarded.
tukra sukra
Hi, I got admitted into a graduate program in physics. My prospective supervisor pulled through my application and got me admitted.

I was asked later by my supervisor which other programs I got admitted into?

Is this a common question for a supervisor to ask?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong in it. He just wants to know in detail about your plan such that he can guide you.

No, it's not strange at all, especially if you don't yet have funding information. If they're competing against Princeton for you, their funding offer will be much better than if they're competing against the University of NoName.

I'm already two months into the program, and my supervisor knows me well enough.

He also pointed out that I was lucky enough to be admitted in the department, because he had no intentions of taking on a second student (he admitted one other student early in the year) and that the only reason I got in was because he was continually being emailed by the graduate secretary if he had some applicant that met the criteria of some bursary that was not being taken up by anyone else.

So, he basically scanned his list of applicants for students who met the criteria and I happened to be one of two students who met the criteria. He ended by mentioning that I was very lucky to be admitted in the department.

tukra sukra said:
He also pointed out that I was lucky enough to be admitted in the department, because he had no intentions of taking on a second student (he admitted one other student early in the year) and that the only reason I got in was because he was continually being emailed by the graduate secretary if he had some applicant that met the criteria of some bursary that was not being taken up by anyone else.

So, he basically scanned his list of applicants for students who met the criteria and I happened to be one of two students who met the criteria. He ended by mentioning that I was very lucky to be admitted in the department.

Jee, that must have been motivating to hear.

I would ask him (politely, kindly) whether he is actually interested in being your supervisor. A supervisor that does his job mostly because of obligation may not be very helpful.

Krylov said:
Jee, that must have been motivating to hear.

I would ask him (politely, kindly) whether he is actually interested in being your supervisor. A supervisor that does his job mostly because of obligation may not be very helpful.

I disagree. Just because a supervisor wasn't keen on beginning a relationship doesn't mean he won't do the right thing once he's in it.

It's fairly universal for advisers to warm up to students who work hard and follow advice, but grow cooler toward students who don't seem to work hard or follow advice.

I tend to look at relationships from both sides: you get out of relationships what you put into them. In scientific collaborations, both students and advisers should work hard and try and pull more than their weight. Sometime you have to make a pest of yourself to get an opportunity, but once the door is open, it's up to you to make good on it. Apparently the secretary was pestering him on your behalf. Be encouraged. Your hard work will likely be rewarded.

1. What is the role of a supervisor in the student-supervisor relationship?

The role of a supervisor is to provide guidance, support, and mentorship to the student in their academic pursuits. They are responsible for helping the student develop their research skills, providing feedback on their work, and assisting them in achieving their academic and professional goals.

2. How important is communication in the student-supervisor relationship?

Communication is essential in the student-supervisor relationship. It allows for clear expectations, feedback, and understanding between both parties. Regular communication also helps build a strong working relationship and fosters a positive and productive learning environment.

3. What are some common challenges in the student-supervisor relationship?

Some common challenges in the student-supervisor relationship include differences in communication styles, conflicting schedules, and varying expectations. Other challenges may include personality clashes, lack of support or guidance, and difficulty in establishing a strong working relationship.

4. How can a student maintain a positive relationship with their supervisor?

To maintain a positive relationship with their supervisor, a student should communicate openly and regularly, be receptive to feedback and suggestions, and be proactive in their research. It is also important to respect the supervisor's time and boundaries, and maintain a professional attitude at all times.

5. What should a student do if they are having issues with their supervisor?

If a student is experiencing issues with their supervisor, they should first try to address the problem directly with their supervisor in a respectful and professional manner. If the issue cannot be resolved, they can seek guidance from a departmental advisor or escalate the issue to higher authorities within the university. It is important for the student to communicate their concerns and seek support in finding a resolution.