Supporting cells of the nervous system

In summary: I find the potential role of glial cells in drug resistance more than fascinating... off topic though, and I won't venture there without your blessing.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question. Ok the endoneurium is a layer of delicate connective tissue that encloses the myelin sheath of a nerve fiber within a fasciculus. Now my question is supporting cells of the nervous system like glial cells usually connect two nerve fibres together, so do they lie outside the endoneurium? Thanks :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
sameeralord said:
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question. Ok the endoneurium is a layer of delicate connective tissue that encloses the myelin sheath of a nerve fiber within a fasciculus. Now my question is supporting cells of the nervous system like glial cells usually connect two nerve fibres together, so do they lie outside the endoneurium? Thanks :smile:

A never fiber is a single axon, either myelinated by an oligodendrocyte (CNS) or Schwann cell (PNS). In the CNS oligodendrocytes can myelinate multiple axons, while in the PNS a Schwann cell will only myelinate a single axon. In the PNS however, Schwann cells can ensheath (not myelin) multiple smaller diameter axons, but this is not the same as myelinating them.

A single nerve fiber (myelin+axon) doesn't have an endoneurium. A nerve*** (a collection of nerve fibers), just the cytoplasm of the axon and wrapped plasma membranes of enmyelinating cell.

So a collection of nerve fibers in a nerve will have a perineurium around the outside (which is a special cellular layer derived from fibroblasts). The inside part, holding all those nerve fibers in the nerve will be the endoneurium. Which will be composed of fibroblasts, macrophages, supportive cells derived from the neural crest (satellite cells→glial cells)-- Oligodendrocytes (special type of glial cell), collagen type III (reticular fibers) and small capillaries (in larger nerves).

Epineurium then, is only found around very large nerves which contain lots of smaller nerves and has blood vessels and often times adipose around it.

***Be aware that many texts or people you encounter will reserve "fasciculus" for a structural layer of muscle and will not call a collection of nerve fibers a fasciculus, rather a nerve. And will also call a collection of nerves, a nerve (just to make it real hard on you :tongue:)

Mmmm.. sameeralord, bobze hit this one out of the park, but I don't suppose you have any further interest in the role of these supporting cells (especially glial cells) which is being uncovered? I find the potential role of glial cells in drug resistance more than fascinating... off topic though, and I won't venture there without your blessing.

bobze said:
A never fiber is a single axon, either myelinated by an oligodendrocyte (CNS) or Schwann cell (PNS). In the CNS oligodendrocytes can myelinate multiple axons, while in the PNS a Schwann cell will only myelinate a single axon. In the PNS however, Schwann cells can ensheath (not myelin) multiple smaller diameter axons, but this is not the same as myelinating them.

A single nerve fiber (myelin+axon) doesn't have an endoneurium. A nerve*** (a collection of nerve fibers), just the cytoplasm of the axon and wrapped plasma membranes of enmyelinating cell.

So a collection of nerve fibers in a nerve will have a perineurium around the outside (which is a special cellular layer derived from fibroblasts). The inside part, holding all those nerve fibers in the nerve will be the endoneurium. Which will be composed of fibroblasts, macrophages, supportive cells derived from the neural crest (satellite cells→glial cells)-- Oligodendrocytes (special type of glial cell), collagen type III (reticular fibers) and small capillaries (in larger nerves).

Epineurium then, is only found around very large nerves which contain lots of smaller nerves and has blood vessels and often times adipose around it.

***Be aware that many texts or people you encounter will reserve "fasciculus" for a structural layer of muscle and will not call a collection of nerve fibers a fasciculus, rather a nerve. And will also call a collection of nerves, a nerve (just to make it real hard on you :tongue:)

Thanks a lot for understanding my question and clearing my misconception. Great answer :smile:

@nismaratwork: You are more than welcome to share your knowledge on Glial cells.

Hi there,

Great question! The endoneurium is a layer of connective tissue that surrounds individual nerve fibers within a nerve bundle, also known as a fasciculus. Glial cells, also known as supporting cells, play a crucial role in the nervous system by providing support and protection to nerve cells. However, they do not physically connect two nerve fibers together. Glial cells are found throughout the nervous system and can be located both inside and outside of the endoneurium. They can also be found surrounding individual nerve fibers, forming a protective layer around them. I hope this helps clarify the role of supporting cells in the nervous system. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the curiosity!

What are supporting cells of the nervous system?

Supporting cells of the nervous system, also known as glial cells, are non-neuronal cells that provide structural and functional support to neurons. They make up the majority of cells in the nervous system and play crucial roles in maintaining the health and function of neurons.

What are the different types of supporting cells in the nervous system?

There are several types of supporting cells in the nervous system, including astrocytes, oligodendrocytes, microglia, ependymal cells, and Schwann cells. Each type has a specific function, such as providing structural support, insulating neurons, and removing debris or pathogens.

What is the role of astrocytes in the nervous system?

Astrocytes are the most abundant type of supporting cell in the nervous system. They provide structural support to neurons, regulate the exchange of nutrients and waste products between neurons and blood vessels, and help form the blood-brain barrier. They also play a role in repairing damaged neurons.

How do oligodendrocytes and Schwann cells contribute to the nervous system?

Oligodendrocytes and Schwann cells are responsible for producing myelin, a fatty substance that insulates neurons and allows for faster transmission of nerve impulses. Oligodendrocytes produce myelin in the central nervous system, while Schwann cells produce myelin in the peripheral nervous system.

What happens if the supporting cells in the nervous system are damaged or dysfunctional?

If supporting cells are damaged or dysfunctional, it can lead to various neurological disorders and diseases. For example, damage to oligodendrocytes or Schwann cells can result in demyelinating diseases like multiple sclerosis. Dysfunction of astrocytes can contribute to neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Therefore, maintaining the health of supporting cells is crucial for overall nervous system function.