Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suppose I had a hypothetical blog entry which I deemed a personal theory.

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    Suppose I had a hypothetical blog entry which I deemed a "personal theory."

As a hypothetical example, here is the link:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/clark/ncar799.html

It concerns asteroid/comet impacts, including 40
    references.

And, hypothetically I state something along the lines of:

"My personal theory, based along the information in the
    above peer-review, is that there would be an X effect
    to a Y section of the Earth with a Z-type asteroid.
    The following are my reasons, based on established
    scientific principles."

-----------------------------

Would this be permitted in a blog?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Re: Suppose I had a hypothetical blog entry which I deemed a "personal theory."

A scientific theory is a very specific thing. If you are simply saying that an asteroid of X mass impacting on a point on the Earth would do Y amount of damage, there is nothing wrong with that and it is not a personal theory. Using established scientific principles is perfectly ok.

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What you have is a personal opinion, not a personal theory.

You could check how plausible your opinion is using accepted scientific theories, if you had enough knowledge and enough computing power to run the simulations.

5. Feb 7, 2012 #4

Ryan_m_b

From the PF rules (emphasis mine)
    Again from the rules (emphasis mine)

6. Feb 7, 2012 #5

Then, as my hypothetical example would be a personal opinion

(but not a personal theory, as posted to me by AlephZero), I would

feel free to post this personal opinion in my own blog.

7. Feb 7, 2012 #6

Ryan_m_b

In the rules the term "theory" is used in the colloquial not scientific sense. If your theory, opinion, hypothesis or whatever breaches the rules regarding personal theories, non-mainstream science and overly-speculative posts then it is not allowed.

8. Feb 7, 2012 #7

I wouldn't advise being cocky using technicalities to post something which disagrees with the science behind it.

As long as the science agrees with it, then there shouldn't be a problem.

9. Feb 7, 2012 #8

No, this whole site and its extensive list of rules forces users to be

very discriminating with their ideas and terms, lest they upset

the status quo of what users, mentors, and admin deem to their liking.

So, I wouldn't claim someone to be "cocky," because they are getting

clarification on words, their meanings, and usage in the forum.

[itex]\text{Note: JaredJames's message in post #9 is noted by me.}[/itex]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  10. Feb 7, 2012 #9

The site forces people to adhere to scientific standards. Period.

I'm always amused that people come here, decide they don't like it and then complain over and over or try to work around the rules rather than just going elsewhere. Private site, private rules. If you don't like it, tough.

11. Feb 7, 2012 #10

Ryan_m_b

The rules of this site exist to maintain the high standard of quality teaching and discussion of science that we have. Our decision to strictly not allow personal theories or overly speculative posts exists to make sure that this site does not get bogged down and ruined with pointless, pseudo-scientific and crackpot threads. There are plenty of similar sites to ours that allow that kind of thing and they are crammed full of rubbish to the point where it is impossible to have an intelligent discussion regarding real science.

Something to bear in mind is that if you lack the knowledge to distinguish whether or not your idea, opinion or theory is in line with mainstream science then it you probably lack the knowledge to make a good theory.

12. Feb 7, 2012 #11

[itex]And I am always amused by hypocrital veteran users
    who violate their own rules by attacking users with sarcasm
    or uses of words such as "prattling" to squash polite, relevant
    discussion, lest it hurt their egos.

The fact that this is a private site is irrelevant to all the users being
    held accountable to not disparaging other users by violating the rules.

13. Feb 7, 2012 #12

Ryan_m_b

If you see a post that you think breaks the rules then report it, simple as that. There is no need to talk about it more, we do not discuss mentor decisions.

14. Feb 7, 2012 #13

A personal blog defeats its purpose if user has to call into question
    every minute detail as to whether or not they adhered to using
    scientific methods every time. I can really try to do that.

> > Edit: I just read the post of Ryan m b to not discuss this anymore.

> > 2nd Edit: I just read the post by micromass in post # 14 below.

15. Feb 7, 2012 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You know that is how science works right?? If you don't follow the scientific method in your blog, then you're not doing science. Not doing science is not allowed in this forum. If you want to discuss a personal theory/opinion, then you are free to do so but not on this forum.

I have especially created a blog on this: https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3751 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  16. Feb 7, 2012 #15

Ryan_m_b

This is a science forum with rules to enforce that. These rules apply to the blogs, this is not unreasonable.
    I was not saying that we cannot discuss this anymore, I was saying that if you have a problem with the posts of other users then report them but we will not discuss them openly.

17. Feb 7, 2012 #16

Oh, one does enjoy a good public flogging...

18. Feb 7, 2012 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This question has been answered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook