Suppose the mass of the Earth were doubled (Physics 12)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 7K views
StaticWaffles
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Suppose the mass of the Earth were doubled , but it kept the same density and spherical shape. How would the weight of objects at the Earh's surface change?


Homework Equations


Fg=Gm1m2/r^2


The Attempt at a Solution


g=G2m/r^2
g=19.59817612

g/g(on Earth - 9.8)
=2

I know this is wrong because the textbook says the answer is 1.26 or 2^1/3.
I have no idea how to get this answer. I did find an online solution but they used equations that I have not been taught.

Here is a link to the online solution:
http://archives.evergreen.edu/webpages/curricular/2005-2006/PhyAstro/0506/HW/G6solns.pdf

If anyone can explain how to get this answer step by step that would be great.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you double the mass, but keep the same density, what happens to the radius?
 
Would it?
What is the relationship between mass and volume? volume and radius for a sphere?
 
I get it now. My Physics teacher explained it to me after school. Thank you!
 
Cool. Of course it would have been better if you'd reasoned it out yourself.
If you posted the answer here, you'd help someone else stuck on the same problem...?