1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suprema proof: quick check please

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that [itex] X \subseteq \mathbb{R} [/itex] and [itex] Y \subseteq \mathbb{R} [/itex] are each bounded above. Then the set
    [itex] Z = \{ x + y : x \in X, y \in Y \} [/itex]
    is bounded above, and
    [itex] \text{sup}(Z) \leq \text{sup}(X) + \text{sup}(Y). \quad \quad [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Let [itex] X \subseteq \mathbb{R} [/itex] and [itex] Y \subseteq \mathbb{R} [/itex] be bounded above, and define the set [itex] Z [/itex] as
    [itex] Z = \{ x + y : x \in X, y \in Y \}. [/itex]
    Let [itex] e_x [/itex] represent an element of [itex] X [/itex], [itex] e_y [/itex] represent an element of [itex] Y [/itex], and [itex] e_z [/itex] represent an element of [itex] Z [/itex].
    For any [itex] e_z [/itex], there exists some [itex] e_x [/itex] and [itex] e_y [/itex] such that
    [itex] e_z = e_x + e_y. \quad \quad (1) [/itex]
    Since [itex] X [/itex] and [itex] Y [/itex] are bounded above, there exists a least upper bound for [itex] X [/itex] and [itex] Y [/itex], which can be represented as [itex] x_{sup} = \text{sup}(X) \text{ and } y_{sup} = \text{sup}(Y) [/itex].
    By the definition of the least upper bound, for all [itex] e_x \in X, \, x_{sup} \geq e_x [/itex].
    Similarly, for all [itex] e_y \in Y, \, y_{sup} \geq e_y [/itex].
    From equation (1), this means that
    [itex] e_z = e_x + e_y \leq x_{sup} + y_{sup} \quad \quad (2) [/itex]
    for all [itex] e_x [/itex] and [itex] e_y [/itex].
    From equation (2), we see that [itex] x_{sup} + y_{sup} [/itex] is an upper bound for [itex] Z [/itex].
    By definition, this proves that [itex] Z [/itex] is bounded above.
    Since [itex] Z [/itex] is bounded above, note that [itex] Z [/itex] has a least upper bound which can be represented as [itex] z_{sup} = \text{sup}(Z) [/itex].
    By the definition of a least upper bound, [itex] z_{sup} \leq x_{sup} + y_{sup} [/itex], or
    [itex] \text{sup}(Z) \leq \text{sup}(X) + \text{sup}(Y).[/itex] Q.E.D.

It wanted to be sure that this is 100% good to go before I have to turn this in. Thank you very very much for anyone that takes a look!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2
    Looks good to me. Wait for more comments

4. Sep 3, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Very nicely done!! The proof is good, but it's also written down superbly!!
    This would exactly be the kind of proof that I would like to receive as an assignment!

5. Sep 3, 2011 #4
    Thank you very much for the encouraging feedback! My only small concern was the way I brought in the fact that e_z = e_x + e_y for some e_x and e_y. Intuitively, this is pretty obvious, but the course requires near perfect style as well as great logic.

6. Sep 3, 2011 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I wouldn't worry about that, it's pretty obvious.

Maybe you will want to explain (2) some more. It's also obvious, but your professor might complain there...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook