Supremum/infinum/max/min concerns x axis or y axis?

• Thread starter kahwawashay1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axis
In summary: The supremum would be 9 and the minimum would be 0. However, if you're asking for the supremum of the range of f, then the supremum would be 9 but there is no minimum since the range is not bounded from below.
kahwawashay1
When we talk about supremum/infinum/etc, does it mean the largest/smallest number on the x-axis or y axis??

Ok so first my professor was explaining how when x^2 < 2 , the supremum is root of 2 (so he was talking about how the domain has a least upper bound).

But then he said that when we look at 1/n, where n is 1,2,3,... , the infinum is 0...so in this case i guess he meant that the range is bounded from below (since 1/n approaches 0 as n->infinity)...but if you look at the domain, the infinum is actually a minimum and equals 1...

help me clear up this ambiguity?

Physics news on Phys.org
kahwawashay1 said:
When we talk about supremum/infinum/etc, does it mean the largest/smallest number on the x-axis or y axis??

Ok so first my professor was explaining how when x^2 < 2 , the supremum is root of 2 (so he was talking about how the domain has a least upper bound).

But then he said that when we look at 1/n, where n is 1,2,3,... , the infinum is 0...so in this case i guess he meant that the range is bounded from below (since 1/n approaches 0 as n->infinity)...but if you look at the domain, the infinum is actually a minimum and equals 1...

help me clear up this ambiguity?

An infimum is the greatest lower bound and the supremum is the least upper bound. When you're looking at the set:

A = {1,1/2,1/3,1/4,...}

sup(A) = 1. This is because 1 is an upper bound for A (every element is less than 1) and there is no upper bound that is lower than 1.

inf(A) = 0. This is because 0 is a lower bound for A (every element in A is greater than 0) and there is no lower bound that is greater than 0. If there was, call it a, you could always find an n such that 1/n < a.

I think the confusion you were having is that the infimum would be the first element in the set, but this isn't true. You need to consider all elements of the set and see what's going on.

gb7nash said:
An infimum is the greatest lower bound and the supremum is the least upper bound. When you're looking at the set:

A = {1,1/2,1/3,1/4,...}

sup(A) = 1. This is because 1 is an upper bound for A (every element is less than 1) and there is no upper bound that is lower than 1.

inf(A) = 0. This is because 0 is a lower bound for A (every element in A is greater than 0) and there is no lower bound that is greater than 0. If there was, call it a, you could always find an n such that 1/n < a.

I think the confusion you were having is that the infimum would be the first element in the set, but this isn't true. You need to consider all elements of the set and see what's going on.

Oh ok so i understand about the 1/n...but what my professor wrote exactly was that supremum of
[itex]\left\{x\in Q: x^2 < 2\right\}[/itex]
is root of two...but shouldn't it be just 2?

kahwawashay1 said:
Oh ok so i understand about the 1/n...but what my professor wrote exactly was that supremum of

ohh nvm the supremum is root of two in this case because we are talking about x in Q that satisfy the condition x^2 < 2...but if we just ask for supremum of {x^2 < 2}, it would be 2?

kahwawashay1 said:

Think about it. [itex]\left\{x\in Q: x^2 < 2\right\}[/itex] means the set of rational numbers such that each rational number squared is less than 2. 22 = 4. 2 is definitely an upper bound for the set, but it's not the least upper bound. (note that the supremum does not need to be in the set. In this case, the supremum doesn't need to be a rational number. It only needs to be a least upper bound) What's something else you could plug into x such that there it is an upper bound for the set, and also that it is the least upper bound?

gb7nash said:
Think about it. [itex]\left\{x\in Q: x^2 < 2\right\}[/itex] means the set of rational numbers such that each rational number squared is less than 2. 22 = 4. 2 is definitely an upper bound for the set, but it's not the least upper bound. (note that the supremum does not need to be in the set. In this case, the supremum doesn't need to be a rational number. It only needs to be a least upper bound) What's something else you could plug into x such that there it is an upper bound for the set, and also that it is the least upper bound?

kk thanks i get that,

so as another example just so i kno for sure i get it, if

f: (-1, 3)->R
f(x)=x^2

then the supremum is 9 and minimum is 0 ?

kahwawashay1 said:
kk thanks i get that,

so as another example just so i kno for sure i get it, if

f: (-1, 3)->R
f(x)=x^2

then the supremum is 9 and minimum is 0 ?

If the set you're considering is f(x) = x2 for x in (-1,3), then yes.

1. What is the difference between supremum and infimum?

The supremum of a set is the smallest upper bound, while the infimum is the largest lower bound. In other words, the supremum is the least upper bound and the infimum is the greatest lower bound.

2. How are supremum and infimum related to the maximum and minimum values?

The supremum is the maximum value if it exists, and the infimum is the minimum value if it exists. However, there can be cases where neither the supremum nor the infimum is equal to the maximum or minimum.

3. How do supremum and infimum relate to the x and y axes in a graph?

The supremum and infimum are used to determine the maximum and minimum values of a function on the y axis. The x axis is used to represent the domain of the function.

4. Can the supremum or infimum be negative?

Yes, the supremum or infimum can be negative if the set contains negative numbers. It is important to note that the supremum and infimum are not necessarily the maximum and minimum values, so they can be negative even if the maximum and minimum are not.

5. How do you calculate the supremum and infimum of a set?

To find the supremum and infimum of a set, you need to first determine all possible upper and lower bounds. Then, the supremum is the smallest of the upper bounds and the infimum is the largest of the lower bounds. In some cases, the supremum and infimum may not exist if there is no upper or lower bound for the set.