Supression ratio in classical conditioning

In summary: When the rat is responding normally (583 responses in 10 seconds), or when it's being shocked (10 seconds after being conditioned)?
RabbitWho
I think that if you're good at maths you'll be able to help me without having heard of this before, assuming you know about classical conditioning it's explained here; http://brembs.net/classical/suppress.html

The measure of the extent to which the CS suppresses responding is called the suppression ratio and is normally defined as being the rate of responding in the presence of the CS divided by the sum of the response rate in the presence of the CS and in the absence of the CS. If A is the response rate during CS and B is the response rate in the absence of the CS (usually measured immediately prior to CS presentation) then the suppression ratio is A/(A+B). With this formula a CS which completely suppresses responding will score 0.0, one that has no particular effect will score 0.5, a stimulus which elevates responding for some reason will score between 0.5 and 1.0. It just seems to me like they just randomly figured.. okay let's just multiply or divide or whatever until we get the numbers we want. I don't see why you would add how often the rat presses the lever without a shock to how often he presses it with the shock and then divide that by how often he presses it without the shock..

Let's say I am the one being conditioned and I make the response 583 times in 10 seconds normally, then you shock me for 10 seconds and I do it 80 times..
583/(583+80) = 1.1... That's would mean that it had increased the number of times I pressed responded.. What on earth..

I am definitely completely misunderstanding this somewhere along the way... help?

Biology news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

The shock is not the CS, but the US. CS and US are explained at the start of the link you gave.

I know that the shock is the unconditioned stimulus, where did I say it was conditioned?

From your link: "If A is the response rate during CS and B is the response rate in the absence of the CS (usually measured immediately prior to CS presentation) then the suppression ratio is A/(A+B)."

In your example, when is the CS presented, and when is "the absence of the CS"?

1. What is supression ratio in classical conditioning?

Suppression ratio in classical conditioning refers to the measure of how much an existing response is inhibited or suppressed by the introduction of a new conditioned stimulus (CS). It is calculated by dividing the number of responses emitted in the presence of the CS by the total number of responses emitted in both the presence and absence of the CS.

2. How is supression ratio calculated?

The suppression ratio is calculated by dividing the number of responses emitted in the presence of the CS by the total number of responses emitted in both the presence and absence of the CS. The resulting value is then multiplied by 100 to convert it into a percentage.

3. What is the significance of supression ratio in classical conditioning?

The supression ratio is a measure of how much a previously learned response is suppressed by a new conditioned stimulus. This can provide insight into the strength of the conditioning and the level of inhibition of the existing response. It can also be used to assess the effectiveness of extinction procedures in reducing the conditioned response.

4. How does supression ratio relate to conditioned suppression?

Conditioned suppression is a phenomenon in which a previously learned response is suppressed by the introduction of a new conditioned stimulus. The supression ratio is a measure of the strength of this inhibition. A higher suppression ratio indicates a stronger conditioned suppression, while a lower suppression ratio suggests a weaker inhibition of the existing response.

5. Can supression ratio be used to predict future behavior?

While supression ratio can provide valuable information about the strength of conditioned suppression, it is not always a reliable predictor of future behavior. Other factors, such as the intensity of the conditioned stimulus and the individual's motivation, can also play a role in determining behavior. Therefore, supression ratio should be interpreted in conjunction with other measures and observations when predicting future behavior.