Surface area to volume ratio problem

In summary, the problem asks to find the surface area of a sphere with a volume of .2 m^3 without finding the radius. The approach suggested is to solve one of the equations, v=4/3(pi)r^3 or sa=4(pi)r^2, for r and substitute it into the other equation. The ratio SA^3/V^2 is independent of the radius and can be solved for V.
uchicago2012

Homework Statement

Find the surface area of a sphere whose volume is .2 m^3. For full credit, do it without finding the radius.

Homework Equations

This can be solved using
v= 4/3(pi)r^3 and sa= 4(pi)r^2, but my prof doesn't want that.

The Attempt at a Solution

so if you manipulate the volume and surface area formulas you can get that the sa:v ratio is 3/r, by cancelling the variables and such. I don't know where to go from there, though, even after reading about the surface area to volume ratio. I did solve the problem using regular math (I got 1.7 m^2) but I haven't been able to do anything else useful without solving for r.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to do something a little more complicated than just finding the ratio. You have two equations which share a common variable, r; try solving one of the equations for r and substituting it into the other one.

Your problem does not require finding "surface to volume ratio". It simply asks you what the surface area of a sphere with a known volume is.

Hint:

What is the ratio:

[tex]
\frac{SA^{3}}{V^2} = ?
[/tex]

equal to? Is it dependent on the radius? Can you solve this equation with respect to V?

What is the surface area to volume ratio problem?

The surface area to volume ratio problem is a mathematical concept that compares the amount of surface area of an object to its volume. It is commonly used in science and engineering to understand the relationship between an object's size and its surface area.

Why is the surface area to volume ratio important?

The surface area to volume ratio is important because it can affect the physical and chemical properties of an object. It can influence the rate of heat exchange, diffusion of substances, and other processes that rely on surface area.

How do you calculate the surface area to volume ratio?

To calculate the surface area to volume ratio, you divide the surface area of an object by its volume. The formula for surface area is different depending on the shape of the object, while the formula for volume remains the same (length x width x height).

What are some real-life examples of the surface area to volume ratio problem?

The surface area to volume ratio problem can be observed in various natural and man-made objects. For instance, the shape of a cell is optimized to have a large surface area to volume ratio to efficiently perform its functions. In architecture, buildings with a smaller surface area to volume ratio tend to be more energy-efficient.

How does the surface area to volume ratio change with the size of an object?

As the size of an object increases, its surface area to volume ratio decreases. This is because the volume increases at a faster rate than the surface area. This is why smaller organisms, such as insects, have a larger surface area to volume ratio compared to larger organisms, like elephants.