1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface area to volume ratio problem

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the surface area of a sphere whose volume is .2 m^3. For full credit, do it without finding the radius.

2. Relevant equations
    This can be solved using
    v= 4/3(pi)r^3 and sa= 4(pi)r^2, but my prof doesn't want that.

3. The attempt at a solution
    so if you manipulate the volume and surface area formulas you can get that the sa:v ratio is 3/r, by cancelling the variables and such. I don't know where to go from there, though, even after reading about the surface area to volume ratio. I did solve the problem using regular math (I got 1.7 m^2) but I haven't been able to do anything else useful without solving for r.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

You'll need to do something a little more complicated than just finding the ratio. You have two equations which share a common variable, r; try solving one of the equations for r and substituting it into the other one.
  4. Aug 30, 2010 #3
    Your problem does not require finding "surface to volume ratio". It simply asks you what the surface area of a sphere with a known volume is.

What is the ratio:

\frac{SA^{3}}{V^2} = ?

equal to? Is it dependent on the radius? Can you solve this equation with respect to V?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook