Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface cut function in matlab?

1. Oct 28, 2007 #1
    there're functions in matlab to plot a 2-D matrix as a surface.
    not supposing the surface is like a paraboloid, is there a function to cut it at a particular plane to observe the contour?
    any suggestions for the same would be appreciated.
    thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2007 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have a matrix and are plotting in 3-d, just plot the rows you wish to see in 2-d. It is the same as a planar cut.

4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    well, actually not all points on a planar cut belong to the same row of the matrix..
    i hope u get what i mean. the resultant structure takes a definite shape like a paraboloid for example but the contours when viewed from the bottom arent circles.
    is this too complicated for a planar cut in a desired direction?

5. Oct 29, 2007 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, I see what you need. I would try to do a 2-d interpolation, then plot the points you want to look at i.e. [itex] z_i =f(x_i,y_i) [/itex]. You should be able to get the cut you want.

6. Oct 29, 2007 #5
    how do u do the 2-d interpolation?
    actually, to be more clear what i need is a 2-d projection(x-y projection) of the 3-d surface, with contours corresponding to same z(height).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?